3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2003 Doge Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:03 PM
98DUALLY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Doge Ram 1500

Just picked up this project truck today for my son . It needs a new motor (blown rod 4.7) and some minor body work. From what I have read these motors have its issues. Are there good rebuilds out there or do most people swap out for hemis? Maybe I bit off more than I can chew here...LOL. Your recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Name:  DSCN2931.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  192.3 KB

Old 05-01-2011, 11:03 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Easy route - rebuild 4.7 (which is a good bonding project) or replace 4.7
Slightly harder is to put hemi in, but a few people have done it already, and you can probably swap to the 2005 PCM setup while you're at it for future upgrades down the road.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 AM
98DUALLY

Thanks HemiLonestar! Im going to call around today to price out some motors. Im wondering if the hemi gets the same fuel milage as a 4.7. What does the PCM swap do? Is it for the hemi?
BTW, sweet ride! Looks like you put some nice upgrades on it!

Old 05-02-2011, 12:33 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DUALLY
Thanks HemiLonestar! Im going to call around today to price out some motors. Im wondering if the hemi gets the same fuel milage as a 4.7. What does the PCM swap do? Is it for the hemi?
BTW, sweet ride! Looks like you put some nice upgrades on it!
Mileage?? Not even close, especially with heavy right foot. Is this is first vehicle? You might not want to put that much power underfoot in a regular cab right away. PCM swap involves taking your wiring harness apart where it goes into your engine computer (PCM) and transmission computer (TCM) and making it into a single unit (04 & up). The 05 seems to have best support aftermarket programming wise. It's something I've been seriously considering on my 03.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:03 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

depending on how bad the original motor is, there are some 4.7 parts for sale here on this site in our classifieds.

As soon as I get off my *** and swap my PCM and harness out I will have a 04 PCm and harness available for a 5.7

Old 05-02-2011, 06:54 PM
98DUALLY

Thanks guys. Going to pull the pan tonite and see whats going on in there...(apparently a blown rod) hopefully not too bad.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:06 PM
truegent81
Captain

Looks like an awesome project to do. I wish I could have done that, bc hands on approach is so much better to learn by and appreciate.
BTW what's the benefit of changing PCM to single? Is it only if you want programmer? If so what's that allow?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:27 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice hood!!!!!! I would stick with the 4.7 for now too. The Hemi is pretty powerful for a first vehicle. Try to find a low mile replacement if yours is too far gone to redo.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

My grandfather taught me everything I know about working on cars, from building a 1940 Ford Street Rod to my 83 Camaro. He passed away 4 months ago, If your son is willing to learn it is such a great bonding experience and not a day goes by that I wish I could go back and work on a car with him....the hours on constant thinking about what your going to do next, all the prying of stupid bolts that wont come off. It is all worth it.

Also, the hood is very.....uhm lets say unique lol. What was this truck used for? I cant seem to make out the advertisement on the side.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:34 PM
98DUALLY

Originally Posted by Marklorenzo
My grandfather taught me everything I know about working on cars, from building a 1940 Ford Street Rod to my 83 Camaro. He passed away 4 months ago, If your son is willing to learn it is such a great bonding experience and not a day goes by that I wish I could go back and work on a car with him....the hours on constant thinking about what your going to do next, all the prying of stupid bolts that wont come off. It is all worth it.

Also, the hood is very.....uhm lets say unique lol. What was this truck used for? I cant seem to make out the advertisement on the side.

This will be a fun project for sure. From what I can see, the motor should come out fairly easy. That being said we have some more research to do.Can the A/C be disconnected easy enough or does it have to be discharged first?
The hood.......lol. It has some funky coat of arms paint job.Pics to follow. The previous owner was a mason and used it for his business.

Quick Reply: 2003 Doge Ram 1500