3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

'RAM AIR' CAI...thoughts??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Neb
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'RAM AIR' CAI...thoughts??

Hello,
Just waiting for my spectre air filter to arrive so I can get my DIY CAI installed. Have been thinking...I just happen to have a piece of 4" stainless flex tube sitting in the garage. I was thinking about running it from the lower passenger side fog lamp hole (I have just holes, no lights) up to where the air filter will be. Sort of a ram air set-up. Wadda ya all think? Yes, no, maybe so? Any benefit or any possible problems this may cause? Sounds kinda cool to me. Anybody tried it?
Oh yeah...almost forgot. How do you get the air sensor out of the stock HEMI hat box? I don't want to break it.
Thanks!

Old 08-30-2011, 06:23 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Good idea imo and has been done a few times.
The IAT sensor connection are your normal PITA dodge clips.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:35 PM
HemiRam1566
Veteran

twist and pull the sensor out.. i just installed a airraid intake i got for free, i made a 4" cai with the k&n filter but i didnt have the box around the filter so it was more like a hot air intake.. this one seals to the hood so all the cool air flows right into the filter.. im going to make a 4" tube to go to the airraid box when i get time.. 4" intakes sound SOOOOOO much better then 3!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:10 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It will work, but I would be careful with big puddles as it can scoop up water too. I had a low scoop on my Mustang. I never puddled it, but I used to find some odd items in the filter box such as cigarette butts and other things.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:35 AM
Neb
Rookie

Appreciate the opinions. I'm gonna give it a try. Hopefully my filter will arrive soon.
Thanks.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:29 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

when you do your project, take lots of pics and post them

Old 08-31-2011, 03:04 PM
thegtproject

I did this exact thing with my '07 hemi. Tube from CAI to fog lamp hole. I absolutely noticed a gain, especially as RPM and Speed started climbing, I could fill a bit more pull on the high end. Last week, that pull was gone. I was thinking wtf is going on... i popped the hood open and the damn thing fell out! lesson learned, tighten it good haha.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:52 PM
freestyledude
Captain

Careful in the rain with something like that. I'd have some kind of catch to keep too much water from getting into your intake. Just took me a little bit of spray to hydrolock my motor with the stock box

Old 08-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Neb
Rookie

I have never posted a single picture in my life. I will ask my teenagers how to do it. I was kinda wondering how I would secure everything under the hood when I do it...will close my eyes and daydream about it tomorrow at work! As for the hydrolock thing...really? I didn't think that a mist or small spray would do that if it was raining. How much messed you up and managed to get in to do it?
Thanks

Old 09-01-2011, 12:49 AM
freestyledude
Captain

well when my truck hydrolocked there was hardly a 1/4" of water in the bottom of my air box. Spray from about a foot of water must have been at the right angle to hit my airbox and it didn't take much. Cost me a motor!