3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

parking brake shoe fun - not!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 09:47 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts
Default parking brake shoe fun - not!

2004 QC 4x4 5.7 ... bought it new, 102k miles so far.

Lining on one of the left rear pads came off the backing plate - heavy grinding! Go to the store to get new pads and rotors. Pull the left rotor, uhoh - no linings on the parking brake shoe either - bare rusted shoe that hasn't come into contact with the drum for a long time. Weird - cable doesn't seem hung up or anything. Off to store again for parking brake shoes, bought wagner brand. Compare the new shoe to the old, not even close... check the numbers, they're right... Back to store.. get the store brand... seem like the right dimension... however the slots are longer where the springs mount. Makes it look like the springs won't apply as much tension.

Springs are tough to remove, thinking will be crazy tough to get them installed.

Right side was ok.

Anyone do this parking brake shoe job yet? Tips, tricks, or cautions?

Thanks,
Paul

Old 02-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Kscha41
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did my rear brakes about 5,000 miles ago, my parking shoes where like yours. The left side completely gone and my passenger side was like new. It looked like it was gonna be a pain, and I never use them, so I never replaced them.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:07 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Kscha41
When I did my rear brakes about 5,000 miles ago, my parking shoes where like yours. The left side completely gone and my passenger side was like new. It looked like it was gonna be a pain, and I never use them, so I never replaced them.
Not bothering with the shoes went through my mind, however I don't think it'll pass the PA yearly safety inspection without an operable parking brake.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:28 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Default mystery solved

Got back to it today (had another car to drive and it got warm again). I found the source of the issue, a locked up brake actuator. This is the piece that connects to the shoes and the cable. One part slides through the another, and mine is frozen on the driver side. Suspect what happened is that it stuck when I engaged and I didn't detect that it wasn't freeing up enough. Cooked the rotor and then the lining broke loose from the shoes/pads.

I saw this happen on my 01 caravan a while ago. I removed it, sandblasted it clean, painted it, and then greased it up.

I'm working on getting this one out, its frozen open so I can't get it out of there yet. Hopefully the penetrate will help me get it removed today...

I'll post a picture of the thing when I get a chance.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:42 PM
bobj49f2

I just found the same problem in my '04. Looks like you have to pull the rear axles. It's going to be a PIA job.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:28 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had rear rotors and pads done about 6 months ago. The parking brake was already weak, so i expected it to be much better. But it was still weak. I also noticed a weird squeaking sound when i backed up and when i first started driving each day but it would go away in a few hundred feet. I brought the truck back to the shop and they pulled the rotors. The parking break shoes were like you describe. GONE on one side, almost on the other. They put new shoes in and the parking brake was better, but still not great. And the squeak still exists. I gave up.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:11 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I just found the same problem in my '04. Looks like you have to pull the rear axles. It's going to be a PIA job.
Got home earlier today and decided to go at this again. I got the adjuster loose enough to range it, but haven't figured out how to get it out of there. I called a mechanic buddy, he said one of his crew had one and just kept working it and was able to get it out... I'm not sure it was the same setup, because I've jammed it hard all the way both ways and still don't have clearance to remove it.

Dumb damn design if you have to remove the axle! The design engineer should be #&#^%@.

I think I'll stop, and go by the Dodge dealer and have a look at a new one - see if it looks like it compresses together more that will allow it to come out. Good thing I have a spare vehicle right now, otherwise it'd be a high priority to get it back on the road.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:28 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

I dropped by the Dodge dealer yesterday and picked up a new lever (part number 5080569AC), $15. I also stopped by the service desk and asked what they do to replace them... they say they pull the axles. $400 to replace the levers!

I had succeeded at ranging the original while in place, and I sprayed penetrate on it a few times. I kept ranging the original until it became loose, but still need to work on the very edges of the range... But I think I'll succeed this way. I REALLY wanted it out so I could bead blast it totally clean, but there is no way I'm pulling axles out to service the parking brake. I'll probably try to return the new lever.

I'm using a large very pair of channel lock pliers to close it, a small hammer to knock it open, and a pair of vice grips to lock the body down to the mount on the end of the axle housing.

Couldn't get working on it today again, but maybe this week I can finish working the rust out of that lever and get it working like it should. Next up I'll see if the store brand replacement shoes I bought are going to work properly.

Dealer parts guy suggested using antisieze to keep the lever from freezing up again, says the antiseize will stay in place, and won't liquidate causing lining issues.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Lifttruck
Rookie

Keep after that lever as you are and use the anti-sieze as suggested. Did mine on my '02 last year. They are still working fine.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:27 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Update... and the fun continues!!!

The second pair of shoes I bought were much closer than the first, but still were not right. The slots were elongated over the originals I had, the springs wouldn't even stay in place they were so loose.

I noticed when I had the Dealer look up the lever, they mentioned a change in design and needed my VIN to figure out which one I got. So I looked up 2005 shoes online and found that the part numbers were different than the 2004 part number. Back to the store, I returned the 2004 store brand for the 2005 version... finally, proper parts! This whole job has been painful all the way around!

I reassembled the left side parking shoes and hardware. With the axle installed, it requires quite a bit of patience, large needle nose pliers and a couple screw drivers! I can see how easy it would be without that huge axle flange in the way.

I moved to the other side, to find that the parking brake configuration is upside down from the left side. The cable comes in at the top, so it makes sense that the left side lever freezes first - I imagine the moisture collects more at the bottom than the top due to gravity!

I'll finish up the right side hopefully by the weekend (day job and weather gets in the way alot lately). Also I'm looking at the left side rear cable thinking it may need to be replaced as well, it doesn't sit tight in the axle end terminating bracket. It may be a little stretched. Right side cable fits nice and tight in the bracket. I'll have a closer look at that later.

Quick Reply: parking brake shoe fun - not!