3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Back up camera choices?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:26 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Back up camera choices?

Was wondering if anybody had added a back up camera to their 3rd Gen truck? It was tough seeing behind me when i just had an open bed. Now with the cap i have to look through 3 pieces of tinted glass.

As always, the Chinese parts market has exploded with cheap models of these camera's. They can be had for as little as $50.00 for a complete kit. My goal is find something of decent quality that will last AND be able to to mount a monitor somewhere in the cab without looking tacky. So no suction cup mounts on the windshield and nothing mounted in a cigar lighter.

A lot of these models are "wireless" in terms of sending the signal from the camera to the monitor. But i don't really care about this, because if i still have to run a power cable to the camera, i may as well run the video cable as well.

I have the CD/DVD/NAV Dodge "REC" head unit that has the camera input on it. Does a kit exist that will utilize that?

Anybody done this yet?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:38 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've got a real good friend up in Georgia (matter of fact, I have an upstairs bedroom in his two story house I stay in during my trips up to the farm property I have) who has a side landscape business who had one professionally installed.

Bought a Pioneer head unit (dunno the model) with the input for camera and had the camera installed on the license plate bracket. I do wanna say he spent like $700 total - I don't know how much of that the head unit alone accounted for but it's a killer setup - I like the fact that he doesn't need to mount a separate screen for the camera...

Old 03-24-2012, 11:14 AM
NyghtProwler
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They do have rearview mirror backup cams.......another possibility

Old 03-24-2012, 12:51 PM
NV290
All Star

I have looked at the rear view mirror monitors. And they do look slick. But they typically double or triple the price of the setup.

As for camera mounting/choices. They seem to be endless. The license plate versions seem to be the easiest way to go, but i would prefer something that looks down from above so i can see the actual distance between my rear bumper and whatever is behind me. From what i can tell, the camera that looks straight out from the license plate will not give you that viewing angle.

Another option i thought was to mount a camera on my cap next to the brake light that would look down. The nice part about that would be no worries of rusting (cap is fiberglass) and the height would give you a great panoramic view.

I found a great quality kit with night vision camera with an adjustable angle but the monitor has a 7" screen and is almost 9" wide overall. Way too big to mount anywhere. I know that most high end aftermarket radio's have camera inputs, but i don't want to change my radio. Their must be a way to buy the parts that work with the REC head unit and then adapt them to my truck.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:29 PM
wishywashy
Rookie

I know zero about the REC unit. What keeps you from just plugging in a camera in your camera input? I did find a write up that used a REC NAV lockpick to add back up sensors and a camera to their REC unit. It was on a Cummings forum and I'm not sure if it kosher to post the link here.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:52 AM
slakker25rs
Professional

NV - I went with this
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLCM7200-.../dp/B000E1PXES

for 70$ and the nice 7" screen with dual inputs.

The camera is good, but I waterproofed it before install, as alot of people said it fogged internally. It isn't "wide" enough for my tastes and is wired via RCA to the unit. It has enough feed to conveniently mount the inputs under the dash and run it up the a-pillar. It clips the the rear view mirror and works well. I do not believe its reflective lense is good enough to replace the mirror itself, but I have a cap and cant use the rear view mirror anyways. I do not have a factory nav or factory lcd.

Just my 2 cents

Old 03-25-2012, 11:25 AM
NV290
All Star

Based on everything i have found, the LockPick seems to be the only realistic way to add a camera to the stock radio's video screen.

I bought an Ipod radio adaptor a few years ago so i could listen to my Ipod through my factory stereo and it works great. So the idea of tossing that and then spending another $200 just to add the LockPick seems a bit much.

I am amazed at how cheap IR Cameras and mini displays are on ebay. I could piece together a back up camera kit for less then $100 easily. I guess that is what i will do. Ill post details.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Matthew L Ferguson
Amateur
Default Rear Camera Mounting

I have found some rear cameras at Brandmotion.com, seem pretty good quality but was wondering this....
The Gen. 4 Dodge has the option for the rear camera and is mounted in the tailgate handle. I don't suppose that Gen 4 handle will fit in a Gen 3 tailgate??
Anyone ever tried this??

Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely keep us updated as I am interested in a setup like this as well. I would like to get a tailgate camera like mentioned. My friend has 2011 2500 with it and it works great. Good view and all but I'm sure a set up like that is pricey. I would like to get a kit for under 100 bucks like you've found but just like you I want a kit that will last as well

Old 11-28-2012, 06:18 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have installed two back up cams in my dodges, one in my dakota and one in my mega cab, both using stock units and lock pic, it really is the only way to go, no extra screen to add, its all automatic display, and with the stock unit, u can also turn on the camera at any time by pressing the u-connect button twice, the best camera i found was the small one on the dakota, mounted above the tailgate handel on the tailgate protector, very wide view, can see the tow ball, both corners of the bumper and as far back as you can see all in HD, has reverse or normal view, and on/off distance markers, and about $30 for the camera,

i have a licence plate mounted camera on the mega cab, but i'm not a fan, have to adjust it for rearview or tow ball view, cant see the bumper, not very wide view, not real clear image, and alost impossible to see at night, it too was around $30, im adding a tailgate protector and the other camera ASAP

here is the dakota setup, the screen is very clear, i just used a crappy camera to take the pic lol, but you can see the bumper, ball, and the fence/building its backed up too

Name:  1123100731b.jpg
Views: 3212
Size:  33.4 KB

Name:  1123100731a.jpg
Views: 1947
Size:  31.4 KB

Last edited by dodgetrucker75; 11-29-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Back up camera choices?