3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Car Alarm recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:50 PM
kramer04hemi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Alarm recomendations

Hey Guys,

So my truck was broken into last night and the radio was stolen, so the console that was made by weedahoe was destroyed, wires cut, adapters destroyed etc etc, I locked the truck before i went to bed but must have left a window open a crack for them to do what they needed to do as there was no other damage to the truck... so i am working on the whole insurance part of it today, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with car alarms and can recommend a good one, i have always heard about viper, but just looking for some recommendations.

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2012, 02:11 PM
BWhelan
Professional

Originally Posted by kramer04hemi
Hey Guys,

So my truck was broken into last night and the radio was stolen, so the console that was made by weedahoe was destroyed, wires cut, adapters destroyed etc etc, I locked the truck before i went to bed but must have left a window open a crack for them to do what they needed to do as there was no other damage to the truck... so i am working on the whole insurance part of it today, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with car alarms and can recommend a good one, i have always heard about viper, but just looking for some recommendations.

Thanks!
It is my understanding that there are only a few actual brands out there that make alarm systems, but they are just retagged as a brand. I believe Viper is one of these companies.

I would imagine if you did a little research you could figure out which brands were made from who and find the best deal on the same "relabeled" product.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Dudemanbrother
Professional

I feel for you. That has got to be one of the worst feeling ever. Ive had it happen 3 times in the past when I lived in apartments. I still dont have a garage, but at least I can park in the back yard with my gate locked. Most alarms are very similar, just buy one in a middle price range and You'll be happy with it.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Blacksport
Captain

That sucks dude. I'd like to catch the little effers and throw them a nice beating!!

Old 03-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by BWhelan
It is my understanding that there are only a few actual brands out there that make alarm systems, but they are just retagged as a brand. I believe Viper is one of these companies.

I would imagine if you did a little research you could figure out which brands were made from who and find the best deal on the same "relabeled" product.
Directed Electronics (DEI) makes all of the following:
  • Viper
  • Python
  • Clifford
  • Avital
  • Ready Remote
  • Astrostart
  • Automate
  • Autostart
  • XpressKit
And I would stay away from them. Not because they are bad, but because they aren't the best bang for your buck.
Check out Micro Alarm (coincidentally, they make some of the electronic pieces for the DEI units) or Audiovox Prestige.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:48 PM
hemiman07
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the factory Chrysler OEM alarm a couple years back and installed it myself. Took almost all day, a lot a cutting and splicing. You can adjust the sensitivity. Seems to be working good, although I do get false alarms every now and then that my neighbors don't appreciate I bet. When it goes off the horn just doesn't honk, it honks all randomly and loud!

Old 03-28-2012, 07:22 PM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Sucks. Mine has been broken into twice while in public places but but i dont keep anything so nothing was stolen. Both times were under the handles and the 2nd time the handle was on the ground. Ended up shaving my handles and getting the Viper 5902.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:11 PM
pitbull24
Veteran

I've used Audiovox and now Clifford on 3 vehicles. Remote starts and alarms with great range. Just figure out what exactly you want or need because they can get ridiculously expensive with installation costs.

Quick Reply: Car Alarm recomendations