3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

So I caved...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 10:04 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So I caved...

So after over a year my failed attempt at a homemade CAI completely fell apart on me. Like where the filter fell completely out of the truck (happened while driving I guess because I have no clue where the filter went). Since I'm tight on cash and I need an intake so I can drive home in the next week I caved and went to ebay and bought this http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-08-DODGE-...item2c6956e139. I figured since it's a one piece I don't have too much to worry about. I would go make another one on my own like Ewing's but being at school I lack the tools such as a drill, saw and adhesive to make my own again. So I'm hoping this will last me for awhile until I can remake one. I'll probably change out whatever filter they send me for a K&N

Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
So after over a year my failed attempt at a homemade CAI completely fell apart on me. Like where the filter fell completely out of the truck (happened while driving I guess because I have no clue where the filter went). Since I'm tight on cash and I need an intake so I can drive home in the next week I caved and went to ebay and bought this http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-08-DODGE-...item2c6956e139. I figured since it's a one piece I don't have too much to worry about. I would go make another one on my own like Ewing's but being at school I lack the tools such as a drill, saw and adhesive to make my own again. So I'm hoping this will last me for awhile until I can remake one. I'll probably change out whatever filter they send me for a K&N

I'm sorry you've had problems. I know how it feels to be away from home without your tools, and also to be a little strapped for cash. When I was in college things like this always seemed to happen, when you are unable to fix it yourself because you lack what you need. I hope you have better luck with the one you purchased. I think you have a good idea to exchange whatever filter comes with it for a K-N. Good luck and be careful as you travel home for the holidays

Old 12-12-2012, 12:33 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember reading that you were having trouble with your previous one. You could've made the basics for the one I made with *******ly no tools except a screwdriver to tighten down the clamps. I had to make a few mods to the sheet metal to attach a hanger that I used to support it, but honestly it (for better or worse) pretty much just sits right on top of the ac lines or whatever is running right behind the rad there. The biggest work for me was getting all the stock airbox crap out of there, so if you've already done that with your previous one, you might've been close then you think. Anyways, hope that one works out for you. I know hammer's always saying the clips to hold those in snap off real easy, so be careful of that I guess.

umm, why is b@sically starred out? sometimes this forum makes me laugh.

Last edited by ewing111; 12-12-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: starred out weirdness
Old 12-12-2012, 02:12 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker

I would have needed a drill to make the hole for the IAT sensor and I don't know anyone for the life of me up here that would have one. And I guess I wasn't sure about the length of the pipe or if it would fit directly without any cutting. And I didn't want to be driving around without an intake. I'll give this one a shot, and like I said since it's a 1 piece tube I'm not worried too much about welds or anything plus it comes with a heat shield so I figured I couldn't go wrong for 90 bucks.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
I would have needed a drill to make the hole for the IAT sensor and I don't know anyone for the life of me up here that would have one. And I guess I wasn't sure about the length of the pipe or if it would fit directly without any cutting. And I didn't want to be driving around without an intake. I'll give this one a shot, and like I said since it's a 1 piece tube I'm not worried too much about welds or anything plus it comes with a heat shield so I figured I couldn't go wrong for 90 bucks.

One time I took a piece of PVC I had laying around and attached it to the throttle body, and stuck a filter on the other end, and left the IAT just dangling from the wire, just to see how it would run. It ran fine, of course I'm sure it would have run better had the IAT been in the airflow

Old 12-13-2012, 12:19 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker

I would probably do that but when I first made my CAI and I put the sensor in (not using silicone or rubber grommet like I should have) the sensor fell out and I got a CEL and a code for the sensor.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:14 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I forgot about the hole for the iat sensor, that definitely helps to have a drill and the right size bit.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:35 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You shoulda talked to weedahoe. He'es got that nifty plastic welder and could have custom fabbed you up an entire intake and even painted it to your liking.
ohh well. damage is done...lol..j/k

Post pics when it's on.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:12 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah! You should have talk to me first!

J/K

Remember, the IAT hole is a 1/2 and you need to put a rubber o-ring behind it to keep it in place. On a side note, I love my plastic welder and Im getting ready to buy new paint guns too

Old 12-14-2012, 02:29 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker

Didn't even think about that! Damn! Would have gotten here faster too since you're in GA and the CAI is coming from CA