3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Question about power? and wheel spin?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:16 AM
OGsohcHondaLOVE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about power? and wheel spin?

Okay I have had my truck for not even a week yet. 07 1500 Bighorn, Bone stock, with mods on the way. It seems to me that with 345hp at the crank you should be able to fry the tires off of this thing. I haven't tried power breaking it because that isn't my thing just thought it should spin the tires or even chirp them when taking off. It has the factory 20" wheels with a 275/60r20 Falken Wildpeak ATS.

Basically i'm just wondering if i'm getting the power i'm supposed to be or is it lacking somewhere. All the fluids look great on the truck. It has 87,000 on it. I did notice a loud ticking which seems to be coming from the valves maybe, which from what I read is concidered the "Hemi tick" but other than that the truck is sound! Any help would be apriceated!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:28 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's 345 at the crank but after drivetrain loss (which is bad on Dodge) and some other things that sap crank HP you're probably only seeing 270-290 at the wheels and the truck weighs over 5000 lbs. It's gonna have some traction, which is the point of a truck after all. That being said if you can't get the tires to chirp off the line on mostly road tires then you just aren't good at doing it lol. I've chirped my BFG A/Ts off of stop lights before.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:39 AM
OGsohcHondaLOVE

That and my altitude here in GJ CO is 4800ft. Which I know from my racing background makes for huge losses in power, especially N/A. The average 1/4mile time here is 1 full second slower than at sea level. I'm just wondering if there is problems with my truck or if between the super soft tires and drive train losses that is just how it will be. There is no problem when the slightest wet at all.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:50 AM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be the rear end ratio. I can fry both 35x12.5s if it is even slightly damp on the road, but 100% dry pavement on a sunny day they will hook and take off.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:16 AM
OGsohcHondaLOVE

Where can I find the gear ratio?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Izero
Champion

He's got a 3.91 rear end... spinning the tires is all about torque and friction...

With those tires it's going to be harder to spin them, but it's possible... just need to stomp that pedal from a complete stop on level ground, and it "should" spin them a bit.

At your altitude you are likely seeing a 15-25 whp drop at MOST, but I'm not going to run it through the calculator and figure it out... basically your altitude is a contributing factor making it harder to spin those wheels.

If your tires are on the lower side of inflation it will also be harder to get some wheel spin, as you will get more traction with lower inflation level, so you can increase the pressure a little bit(keep it 6-8 psi below the maximum listed on the tire) and see if that helps...

Good Luck and be safe :-P

Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 AM
ron333
Captain

Your biggest "enemy" for getting the tires to break loose as a stock truck is torque management programming in the PCM. The factory de-tunes these trucks so getting them to break those back tires loose is difficult. Try flooring it while rolling at 5 or 10 mph... they should break loose more easily than from a dead stop.

I had an '03 that I had to trick it into spinning the rear tires loose, and even then it wasn't that impressive. I agree, 345 Hp should roast the tires. Yes it is a heavy truck, but the rear end doesn't have enough weight to keep the tires from spinning. If anything, since the truck weighs so much with the rear end being light, the tires should spin even easier. With a Superchips programmer and their advanced transmission tuning addon, my truck will break the rear end loose every time I want it to, and sometimes when I don't. (Even before the my gear change from 3.91 to 4.56, this was the case, but much more now...)

Old 03-05-2013, 11:24 AM
OGsohcHondaLOVE

Ok ill try it from a roll but doubt that will help. I did do a power brake on my way to work this morning for s&g's and it roasted them easily enough. Guess ill try the roll thing and if not then ill see what havens after the aem cai and the SC Vivid. Thanks for the gear ratio info. That is what I figured it had.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Jarrett198

Do you have traction control? If so, turn that off. Should have a button on the dash near the climate control. My '07 has it

Old 03-05-2013, 04:10 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker

You have a button for traction control? I've never seen that on a Ram

Quick Reply: Question about power? and wheel spin?