3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Wheel well rust

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 03:07 PM
Tyler Oplasage
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel well rust

Hello everyone.
Im not positive if this is the right section for my question but do feel free to move my thread if this is not the right place. I have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 Daytona with some pretty nasty wheel well rusting. I have no experience with body work at all but in its current condition I figure I have nothing to lose. My question is, have any of you guys gone about repairing the rust? Can anyone offer me any tips and tricks or anything that will help me? My buddy has a welder and is willing to help me do the welding portion. I am thinking about using the patch kits found here https://raybuck.com/product/2002-08-...assenger-side/ and the drivers side. Ive heard about an inside rocker panel? Is that something I need to look into? When it comes to the painting is there any place that will paint match my paint and make it so that I can paint it myself? Any tips, tricks or help is appreciated.
Thanks

Old 04-20-2020, 06:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,286 Likes on 3,033 Posts

So far as I am concerned, body work is an art-form, and I SUCK at it...... (I even took some classes, and I STILL suck.....) If I have any that needs to be done, I fix it the american way. I throw money at someone else. Trouble is, it just ain't cheap.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:06 PM
Tyler Oplasage
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
So far as I am concerned, body work is an art-form, and I SUCK at it...... (I even took some classes, and I STILL suck.....) If I have any that needs to be done, I fix it the american way. I throw money at someone else. Trouble is, it just ain't cheap.
Yeah boyds quoted me 8 grand for it to be all done. So that doesn't work for me hah.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:43 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I bought fender flares and covered up the problem.
welding in a new panel is doable but it still must be professionally painted imo . I have never seen anyone do decent paint at home.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:09 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

The rear wells rust from the inside out. So about time you see it on the outside, its pretty far along and up the panel on the inside. Yours is WAY bad on the outside, so you might find you don't have enough patch panel to do the job. Way easier to find a non-rusty bed, it will cost you - but when you add up your time and materials - it'll probably work out cheaper for you to swap beds. Likely you wont' find a bed in the right color, but you can try. Would be worth an extra couple hundred to get one you didn't have to paint, however that orange isn't going to be very common.

I've painted outdoors often, and I can get pro level results. Usually involves sanding with 2000 grit to get the final result super flat. They make paint files to remove any trash that gets into the paint. However, by the time you buy all the equipment necessary to do this one job, it'd be cheaper to have someone spray it for you.

Here are a few postings where I show some results, first is a 2nd gen I went front to back on...
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...placement.html

Second is a bumper swap with matching single stage paint - no sanding or polishing, and it was painted in the back yard over grass hanging from a jungle gym.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-rust-out.html

The following users liked this post:
Tyler Oplasage (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 01:19 AM
Tyler Oplasage
Amateur

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
The rear wells rust from the inside out. So about time you see it on the outside, its pretty far along and up the panel on the inside. Yours is WAY bad on the outside, so you might find you don't have enough patch panel to do the job. Way easier to find a non-rusty bed, it will cost you - but when you add up your time and materials - it'll probably work out cheaper for you to swap beds. Likely you wont' find a bed in the right color, but you can try. Would be worth an extra couple hundred to get one you didn't have to paint, however that orange isn't going to be very common.

I've painted outdoors often, and I can get pro level results. Usually involves sanding with 2000 grit to get the final result super flat. They make paint files to remove any trash that gets into the paint. However, by the time you buy all the equipment necessary to do this one job, it'd be cheaper to have someone spray it for you.

Here are a few postings where I show some results, first is a 2nd gen I went front to back on...
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...placement.html

Second is a bumper swap with matching single stage paint - no sanding or polishing, and it was painted in the back yard over grass hanging from a jungle gym.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-rust-out.html
I see what your saying. Ive measured out the patches and it will fit. Its on the edge but it should work. I cannot find a box that is rust free up here in canada for under 1500$. I just cant justify spending more than that for just a box. I will keep my eye open and Ill keep you guys updated on progress and what not.
Thanks

Old 04-21-2020, 08:20 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Before you jump in, put a camera up in the back side and see what it looks like. Here is what my 2004 1500 looked like in 2015....no way a patch panel was going to be enough to repair that properly.

The following users liked this post:
Tyler Oplasage (04-21-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 11:28 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

very nice paint

Old 06-01-2020, 01:20 AM
Whitetrash04derdge
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tyler Oplasage
Hello everyone.
Im not positive if this is the right section for my question but do feel free to move my thread if this is not the right place. I have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 Daytona with some pretty nasty wheel well rusting. I have no experience with body work at all but in its current condition I figure I have nothing to lose. My question is, have any of you guys gone about repairing the rust? Can anyone offer me any tips and tricks or anything that will help me? My buddy has a welder and is willing to help me do the welding portion. I am thinking about using the patch kits found here https://raybuck.com/product/2002-08-...assenger-side/ and the drivers side. Ive heard about an inside rocker panel? Is that something I need to look into? When it comes to the painting is there any place that will paint match my paint and make it so that I can paint it myself? Any tips, tricks or help is appreciated.
Thanks

Im no body man either but almost everyone I talked to personally strongly suggest replacing the whole box side. Easier no body work paint and go. Might be more expensive than patch panels but it'll last longer and you could do the inner at the same time
​​​​​

Old 10-05-2020, 09:49 PM
Tyler Oplasage
Amateur

Hello everyone, Ive decided to get this project going and I am heading to my buddies this weekend so he can help me with the welding. I will then drive it home to do the bodywork and then get it painted. My question is since I have to drive it back I have to protect it. I was thinking of using an epoxy primer on the outside on the bare metal and coating the inside with por-15 or some rubbery rust preventative. I know it will look ugly on the drive back but if I coat it heavily with an epoxy primer will it be safe until I get home?

Quick Reply: Wheel well rust