3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flowmaster Quality

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 03:26 PM
HemiBoss
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmaster Quality

I just recently purchased a 07 Mega Cab with a 5.7 Hemi. I have previously owned an 04 and 06 Quad Cab. I have 1,700 miles on it already since I purchased it last month. I just had a true dual exhaust put on my truck this past weekend with two Flowmaster 40's with 2.5" piping inorder to keep some of the backpressure so I don't lose much low end torque, which I want to work on improving. I have the exhaust exiting out the passenger side, both with nice 4" chrome tips. It looks really nice and sounds great.

I haven't really noticed much of a performance gain, yet, but maybe i will have to wait until I improve the breathing with the new intake coming this week. Should that complemment both of those add ons?

I have always used Magnaflow, with their straightthru design, but I was not fond of the sound. With the Flowmaster being a chambered design, will it hurt performance with a true dual setup, regardless of the intake to come? I intend to use headers latter down the road.

Also, I do not have an H pipe or exhaust crossover pipe installed, but i have room left to install one if needed. Should I install one, or just leave it alone?

Thanks for any help. I look forward to being on this site, receiving help and giving just as much in return. I am 22 and a hard core mopar enthusiast, with this truck, my girlfriends Hemi durango, my hot stroked 318 duster, 1969 Plymouth Formula S 340 Barracuda. I even share a 440-3 powered 19ft Dodge Sportman Brougham motorhome with my Mopar loving father as well. I love them all. Thanks for having me!!!

Old 08-07-2007, 03:28 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Flowmaster Quality

Flowmaster is the best exhaust for sound, worst for performance gain.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:06 PM
HemiBoss

ORIGINAL: 94rt10ohio

Flowmaster is the best exhaust for sound, worst for performance gain.
Even with a true dual setup with or without H-Pipe I will see no performance gain?[sm=confused06.gif]

Old 08-07-2007, 06:23 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will see gains, but not what Flowmaster rates that you should. All their tests are done on engines with no cats and performance headers as well. You will also feel a little more power once you put the CAI on, not much, but little. The big difference you will see is when the truck gets passed the break in period and you do your oil changes. I got my complete set up with about 2000 miles on, I noticed a change but nothing to bark at. After my truck had a few more miles and got passed its first oil change, now I notice alot of extra power. The new programmer helped alot too. The stock set up that dodge had on the truck were pretty good and a CAI and exhaust alone is not all that much better than the stock set up. These trucks were designed to flow good, and with an aftermarket setup, you only opened up a little better and improved the sound. Give your truck a couple more thousand miles and you will start to see a difference. Also look into getting a tuner.

BTW, I want to see pics of your collection that you mentioned above.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:11 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My cousin was a mgr. at national muffler chain shop for 8 years, and he instists (after I got mine, of course) that Flowmaster has the best sound of all the big name mufflers, and the worst flow!
He has told me that in many cases they flow WORSE than the stock muffler that came off the vehicle.
He swears by Dynomax & Magnaflow, but his personal favorite is a Cherry Bomb......

Old 08-07-2007, 07:17 PM
motorider228
Champion

Yes flowmasters sound great but often do clog up the exhaust mor ethan stock. For performance you should never use a chambered muffler.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:36 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

i dont even think flowmasters sound that great on my old dodge (96 ram with a 318) I had the flowmaster american thunder and wasnt very pleased i just ordered magnaflow for this truck.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:46 AM
PinkTacoLover
Professional

Flows- Good sound, worse flow, I totally agree. That's why I switched to the AT3030. The difference between the flows and the AT are amazing.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:59 PM
HemiBoss

Thanks for all of the replies. Would an H-Pipe take some the raspiness away from the sound and help low to mid range torque somewhat, or should I just leave it alone?

Old 08-08-2007, 05:38 PM
nastyram
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

not to sound stupid,but what is an AT3030

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Quality