3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

changing my plugs...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 01:27 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing my plugs...

has anyone done a diy on this yet??? if not does anyone want one??? i plan on doing it soon using some champion copper cores prolly one day this week.... o and a pcv valve... let me know

Old 10-28-2007, 09:13 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: changing my plugs...

Not especially difficult. Back plugs are hard to reach. I bought NGK 5306s. Got sixteen for $28.80. Cost $177 to have 'em changed. Too busy at work at that time, plus I didn't want to deal with the aggravation. As far as "how to", just be very careful not to break the plug wires or get them mixed up. Make sure you blow out any trash before you pull the plug, so nothing can fall into the cylinder. Remove the coil pack, change the plug. Remove the plug wire for that cylinder, change the other plug for that cylinder. Torque 'em to 14 ft-lbs. Apparently, you should not use anti-seize, 'cause it can affect the actual torque on the plug. Fresh dielectric grease can't hurt. Various length extensions, one of' 'em a wobble, will be necessary.

You'll be stretched out across the top of the engine for a while, so a blanket might be a good idea. Seems to take about three hours or so. Take it slow, an' be careful.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:31 AM
tnt1036
Professional

Take your air box off right up to the intake. Do that first so it gives you the room you need to work.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:31 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

i have an aftermarket intake so the box is gone... i know how to change plugs ive been doin stuff like this since i was about 8 years old with my dad... i was wondering if anyone wanted me to do a write up on either thing with some pics when i do it... you know like a couple tricks and tips if i can find any... mainly for the back cylinders...

Old 10-28-2007, 01:11 PM
tnt1036
Professional

I see what you meant now that I read it again. I have used write ups that other people have wrote for different jobs and it gave me the confidence to do it myself and save some $$$. I say go for it I am sure you will get some thanks in the future from it. I could have used it when changing my plugs for the first time.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:22 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

yea i wrote one for the cab lights and have been gettin pm's left and right about it... makes you feel all cool when your like yea i did it and yea i know what im talkin about..

Old 10-28-2007, 02:20 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

spark plug socket, 6" extention, wobble, stubby 3/8" ratchet, and flex head 3/8" ratchet and you'll be all set....when i did mine, i used a magnet and dropped the socket down into the plug hole then stuck the extension down in there...made it easier to do that way....ended up takin bout an hour

Old 10-29-2007, 08:12 AM
HemiAtWork
Professional

Yeah, Its not to bad with the right tools. Took me like and hour an a half. The back ones are a pain but not impossible by any means. A little back cramp whenI finished but well worth saving $$$

Old 10-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

I did mine just a couple of weeks ago. While you have the top of the engine apart, it's not a bad idea to check the throttle body too. four screws and a plug connection and it can be removed for cleaning. Mine was pretty gunked up (first time in 60k miles), the engine runs much smoother at idle now. I used brake cleaner and a small stainless wire brush to clean all the buildup off the throat and throttle plates. Just don't try to move the throttle plates as this will cause some non repairable damage to the TB. You would have to shell out for a new TB. I put a light film of silicone grease to the bottom mating surface of the TB for sealing and re-installed to the manifold. I did notice during the first few minutes after I started the engine that it had to re-orient the idle setting, but after that, it idled smooth as glass.

Just my .02.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:20 AM
anxioustimes

tdmopar59,

I have changed the plugs and wires on my camaro only once so if you can post some pics. and advice that would be great.... My truck is about ready for hers to be dealt with!

Quick Reply: changing my plugs...