3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why should I get the Dodge?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Zack1978
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why should I get the Dodge?

ORIGINAL: RamItOne

ORIGINAL: Zack1978

Secondly I don't actually need the Ram, but I do like it; I am a teacher not a contractor, etc.

Zack
Zack you are an ideal tundra driver, the new tundra feels like youre in a car. Tundras are for people that like the idea of a truck, but have no use for them, bet your bed (no liner) will look as clean 5 years from now as mine did after a month. All the boasting tundra does about their power plant or payload cap pale in comparison to a cummins and they are in a similar price range.

BTW tundra service manual calls for a re torque of the propellor shaft bolt every 15k miles and 5k twoing (ever head of self locking fasteners??) which you wouldnt be doing anyways, although i bet youll have a nice shinnnnny ball hitch added. and lets start taking bets, 2wd or 4wd??? of course youre looking at a 2wd truck.

sorry for coming off as an ***, a good friend of mine is a big shot at toyota, gets a new veh of his choice (always the limited) every 10k miles, i give him **** about tundra drivers all the time.

Well you are off on a couple of things........ First of all I haul my quads and sleds often so I need a decent amount of towing ability. I go to upstate NY often and I live in NJ so 2wd is a joke. As far as my bed being clean I haul many items for various projects, etc. So I do have a good use for a pick up, just might not be the full use of a 2500. So what if I drive a 2500 wearing a suit and tie?

Zack

Old 02-11-2008, 12:37 PM
2005cobrakiller
Captain

ur entitled to your own opinion i suppose...sounds like a cop out for someone who cant drive....i use my truck for everything....and when it needs work i do it.....id line you up in second too ...keep talking **** its easy from hundreds of miles away~Mike

Old 02-11-2008, 12:39 PM
2005cobrakiller
Captain

talking ****.... I wont even justify that with a response...........

Old 02-11-2008, 02:22 PM
BIG HOOK
Professional

ORIGINAL: Zack1978

Well I like that fact that I can get a long bed in the 2500 to fit one snowmobile in the bed, and my other sled on a single place trailer, that is the reason for the 2500. I like the 1500, however with one sled in the short bed, the tailgate would have to left down, and I don't think I can tow a trailer with the gate down. I full well reailze that the 2500 is overkill, however the Dodge would be cheaper to purchase. I do need a pick-up, I am just confused as to which one! I guess I could even get by with a Tacoma, but...............

Zack
When it came time to upgrade to a new truck and replace my 87 Dodge W150 Reg Cab 4x4, there was no question for me it would be a new Ram. Our family has bought and driven Chrysler products for the past 40 years, most to over 100,000 miles+, with minimal mechanical failures (with regular oil changes, preventative maint, etc.). I bought an 07 2500 Reg Cab SLT 4x4 with the Hemi. When I started researching the 3rd gen Rams a couple years ago, I was initially looking at a 1500 Reg Cab Hemi. When I started going to the dealers, all I could find were 1500/2500 Quad Cabs or 1500 Reg Cab short beds, next to zero 2500 Reg cabs.

I don't haul snowmobiles but I wanted something mechanically similar to my old truck. The standard 2500HD offers the beefy solid front axle as opposed to the IFS in the 1/2 tons. I do use my truck for hauling plywood, 2x4's, and car parts for my own particular projects and hobbies so the long box comes in handy plus I like the fact that the 2500 has more than enough capability to meet my needs should something arise. I also have the capability to tow up to 10,000 lbs with the Hemi which is good. If I was constantly towing trailers, I would have bought a CTD for the gas mileage and grunt but since it will see occasional trailer towing, the Hemi is fine.

I get 17 mpg on the freeway and 13-15mpg in the city with the non MDS Hemi which is fine with me. For about the same cost, or less, as a nicely equipped 1500 Quad
Cab, I bought my 2500HD Reg Cab SLT with several nice options. I had to ultimately order it because they just don't have any of them on the lots.

All the truck makers have there pluses and minuses and the 1500 Ram is an awesome truck. (hec ,any Ram is!) I am quite happy with my Ram. It's stout, rides smooth, handles excellent, the Hemi rocks (neck-snapping performance!), looks tough, and did not break the bank. I say consider a 2500HD. I don't think it's overkill and you won't be disappointed.

Tim

Old 02-11-2008, 03:35 PM
chongo
Veteran

ORIGINAL: 2005cobrakiller

ur entitled to your own opinion i suppose...sounds like a cop out for someone who cant drive....i use my truck for everything....and when it needs work i do it.....id line you up in second too ...keep talking **** its easy from hundreds of miles away~Mike
I don't think there was any copout being made - I think the comment made about a "hot head" on the road was due to your comments of throwing a pizza on someones windshield - you come across as a dumbass and the video in your sig. only confirms that. You keep making references to racing, I would like to see a video or a time slip with some numbers - cause with what you have listed in your sig. (borla exhaust/headersnot installed) you don't have a very fast truck IMHO.

Mods - if I stepped out of line by stating that he comes across as a dumbass I apologize, just callingit as I see it

Old 02-11-2008, 05:19 PM
ozyran
Professional

I hate to say it, but the Tundra is just all out better in every aspect than any other 1/2 ton on the road right now. And as for the Toyota recalls...

...unless I'm mistaken, Toyota chased down every single defect, including the rumored ones, in an effort to have everything resolved. Especially the camshaft issues. And, on top of it all, Toyota has been building trucks since the mid 1930's, so they still have the reputation to boot. I had a 1997 Toyota Tacoma, and all in all, comparing it to my 1998 Ram, the Toyota just seemed to survive time better. The Ram? Well, I've done the intake plenum, I have to keep an eye on the dash, the transmission is questionable, the 9.25 rear end? Well, no heavy towing, that's for sure.

I'm the devil's advocate. Go with the Tundra (if you have to get a truck right now). It's an all out better truck than the (current) Ram. Period.
Go ahead and flame away![sm=badbadbad.gif]

(EDIT: I'm seriously not trying to troll here. Build quality on the Ram has got to improve! Besides, I *did* get a Ram after all, and I plan to stick by it even through all the problems I might face.)

Something else I want you to consider: Wait until 2009.

For the 2009 model year, we're getting a completely redesigned Ram. Built new from the ground up. And you know something? I thought about it, and all the big truck makers are in trouble. Every last one of them. If they do it right, it will be more powerful, better looking, and more reliable than every other truck out there on the market in 2009, IMHO.

I just hope Cerebrus doesn't prove me wrong!

Old 02-11-2008, 06:13 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: chongo

I don't think there was any copout being made - I think the comment made about a "hot head" on the road was due to your comments of throwing a pizza on someones windshield - you come across as a dumbass and the video in your sig. only confirms that. You keep making references to racing, I would like to see a video or a time slip with some numbers - cause with what you have listed in your sig. (borla exhaust/headers not installed) you don't have a very fast truck IMHO.

Mods - if I stepped out of line by stating that he comes across as a dumbass I apologize, just calling it as I see it

Exactly.

Cobrakiller

You are full of references to how bad *** you are, and how youll race anybody. No one cares. Were here to help, get help from other owners. Not stroke your E-*****. Not only are your posts cocky, they are very doubtful. You posted in another thread you are running 3.9 sec 0-60's. C'mon man. No one is pickin on you, or jealous. It's like grade school. If you dont have someting constructive to say, don't say anything. Calling a guy an idiot for buying a tundra, and talking about throwinga pizza on his windshield is just a dumb, arrogant comment to make. Tundra's are great trucks, and can hang with any 1/2 ton of the day. Motortrend is even comparing them to 3/4 tons.

Be mature and helpful, or get the hell off our forums.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:02 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyway, how much weight can our tail gates handle?? Anyone know? I was curious about that
I actually recently loaded a whole pallet of marbel in mty truck and the forklift couldnt put it all the way in the bed at once so he let the thing down half in the bed and half on the tailgate. That is alot of weight like around 1800 pounds. I know it was over weight but we just went down the road. Without my bags filled the rear suspension was bottomed out. I was suprised the tailgate didnt break off.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:33 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

i put a 90 pd bail of hay and then me and my dad and my dog at lunch on it, thats like, 650-700pds.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:44 PM
chongo
Veteran

In regards to the tailgate - I have had 4 grown men all 200lbs+ sitting on the tailgate while pheasant hunting up in KS.

JD1500 - good post.

Quick Reply: Why should I get the Dodge?