3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air Box Mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:02 AM
egbdodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Box Mod

Hello all.I am a newbie to this forum and I would like to say thanks for all the cool tips I have learned. I finally got a Dodge Ram 1500 with a Hemi! It's an 05 but man I love this truck! I put in a K&N drop in filter and it makes a difference. Not a huge gain but some. I might eventually try a different filter due to the controversy I had heard. I have been looking at cold air intakes and I just don't have the funding right now so I did a little stock box mod. I pulled off the air horn and I took about 3 feet of rigid aluminum dryer hose and I stuffed it in the square hole of the box and folded the ends a bit so it doesn't come out. I ran the hose down the fender about even with the foglight and strapped it to the fender support. I know this is a cheap trick but it does make a difference on take off and shifting through the gears (my truck is automatic). I was going to put the hose behind the headlight but there's not much of an air space. Eventually I would like to get a good CAI. Any suggestions? Thanks alot

Old 07-09-2008, 11:27 AM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Air Box Mod

First off, after putting the K&N I think you helped the stock airbox about as much as you can. The "Air Horn" does a good job of pulling cool air from the fender well. Your biggest loss is in the the resonator or "Hemi Hat." That's where your air warms up over the engine and where it binds and gets restricted. You would've been better off taking your duct work from the airbox to the Throttle body. However you'd have to find some way to mount your IAT sensor in it and hook up your oil breather tube... You can leave it the way you have it if you want, but I think the "Gains" you're feeling are in your head.. Like I said, the airbox does it's job well, you just gotta get rid of the Hemi Hat...

***This is just personal opinion:

If you want to waste your money on a CAI go ahead. To me, you don't get enough gain to warrant the $300 out of your pocket. The eBay one's do just fine, and according to my edge, my intake temp is normally only 1 degree hotter than Ambiant Air Temp....

Here's a pic of my eBay intake:

Old 07-09-2008, 01:04 PM
pcollins
Veteran

How much that run you Bwhite?

Old 07-09-2008, 01:27 PM
devildg84
Professional

do you know where i can get just theelbow that comes out of thethrottle body?i already have a voliant cai but i bought a throttle body spacer that the stock "hemi hat" wont fit back into place so i need to either cut it or get that tube, so that sensor will be placed in there right. thanks

Old 07-09-2008, 01:42 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

^^^I just ordered this the other day from Summitafter someone mentioned the Airaid tube....it's the same thing as the Truflow but half the price. I ordered the one without the filter for $110...the one with the filter is like $145ish but it's an oiled filter [:@]. I can't believe truflow gets away with charging $240+...amazes me. And the couplers aren't red which I hated about the truflow..

Here's a pic but it's not my truck.....just one off the airaid site. They also sell the cone filter and heat shield but then you're getting into the $300 range.

Name:  AiraidInstalled.jpg
Views: 2738
Size:  23.1 KB

Old 07-09-2008, 02:54 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pcollins

How much that run you Bwhite?
I originally bought the one with a K&N Filter, however I apparently didn't tighten my filter on well enough b/c it worked it's way loose on a road trip.... I went to advance and bought the filter that's on it now, it's an APC Turbo cone filter w/heat shield, it was on clearence for $19...

The original setup cost me $60 shipped with the K&N cone...

I have since got rid of the oil breather tube, and put on a seperate filter for just the oil breather... My intake was sucking oil all the way up to it....

Old 07-09-2008, 04:24 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Speaking of which..I just got my intake tube from ups an hour after I made that other post . Here's some pics....install was easy but had to free up and retape the IAT harness...needed another 5+ inches from it[:@].

Name:  airaid001.jpg
Views: 2713
Size:  109.4 KB

Name:  airaid002.jpg
Views: 2268
Size:  74.1 KB

Name:  airaid005.jpg
Views: 2429
Size:  94.9 KB

Old 07-09-2008, 05:43 PM
TraptuR
Rookie

Here is my cheap college student technique.

PVC pipe painted black.

Name:  CIMG0568.jpg
Views: 4633
Size:  110.7 KB

Old 07-09-2008, 06:09 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm liking the Airaid tube myself, I already have a K&N drop-in.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:19 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Hell yea TraptuR, sometimes you have to improvise ...looks damn efficent too.Did you put some RTV silicone under the tape by the throttle body? I got my stimulus check the other week so mines courtesy of uncle sam...