3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tpms

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Timmerduder
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tpms

I have posted before on this as well as found others but am unable to reply to most, they must have been from the old board....

Anyway, with all the talk about Diablo, SC and others, why cannot they build something to calibrate and/or adjust the TPMS for whatever reason?

Old 11-09-2008, 02:55 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe because it's one of those federally mandated safety features??

Old 11-09-2008, 03:45 PM
SmokeySportRam
Captain

why do you need to adjust the Tire pressures with a programmer?

Old 11-09-2008, 10:12 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

He has gone to a higher load range tire that uses higher pressures that are out of range for the stock calibration, I believe.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:34 PM
SmokeySportRam
Captain

sound like a pickle......

Old 11-09-2008, 10:46 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lxman1
He has gone to a higher load range tire that uses higher pressures that are out of range for the stock calibration, I believe.

If that's the case....Those tires can still be pumped up to factory specs of the stock tires and be fine. The reason for higher load tires is to handle more air and weight which is meant strickly for towing and hauling which the 1500 isn't capable of as rated from the factory. Just because you have load E range tires doesn't mean you need to put 80psi in them. Running them at 40psi is perfectly fine, especially for what the truck is capable of doing.

Also, I think the governament has regulated for all cars to have TPMS on new vehicles from now on out! Removing or altering them would be the same as changing your safety features like for ex. removing your airbag. Your vehicle won't pass inspection without them. They are getting ridiculous on this crap. Next thing for them to regulate and keep records of how much we use our trucks for towing and hauling so they can force us into hybrid cars. absolutely ludicrous. ( I believe the TPMS had lots to do with faulty tire and lawsuits, but even still...)

Last edited by dirtydog; 11-09-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:43 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I think it started due to the Firestone/Explorer rollover issues. Firestones are junk in my opinion anyway.
Seems like Dodge uses whatever tires are laying around. My Ram has Goodyear, my Grand Caravan has Bridgestone (a division of Firestone), My Dad's new 08 Grand Caravann has Pirelli's on it, and I'm not sure about the Caliber.

But back on subject, his Megacab has a 2500 suspension so he could use the higher pressures for towing etc.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:13 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's the Federal statute that i found. Don't scorch your eyeballs like I did....lol
The statute says nothing about over inflating. It specifically says that the TPMS should warn the driver if the air pressure drop below 25% of the reccomended tire pressure of that vehicle. Nowhere did I find that it said the TPMS would cause issues for over inflation? That seemed odd? Maybe they are only one way working chips?
Has your father had trouble with the light being on? Sometimes they have to be reprogrammed if you move one wheel for another. When I got my new tires put on, the tire guy marked each wheel so they went back where they where because he said that there have been lots of issu'es if they don't do that. Otherise the need to be reprogrammed or relearn themselves. What a PIA

Old 11-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Timmerduder
Veteran

I have load D range tires capable of over 3500lbs each, more than enough for the 2500 frame and load capacity. Load D tires used to use more pressure but recently went down to 50PSI max. If I run 50 PSI all the way around then the TPMS still is in error and I have more than enough pressure to be safe.... so it not working is the safety violation....

Old 11-10-2008, 01:14 PM
DodgeThunder
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to work in a tire shop and had to take a course all about these stupid things and the TPMS system is designed to alert you if your tires are over inflated as well so thats what it woud be going off with higher rated tires..

Quick Reply: Tpms