3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil filter cons

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:03 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I know on a Ford, the Fram filters have a crappy anti-drainback valve causing delayed oil pressure on start-ups.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:32 AM
CNester
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told that 2006 dodge hemi 5.7 motors on up, require Mopar oil filters due to a extra ruber seal inside the oil filter. This prevents the hemi tic noise when starting the engine. This is just what I was told from someone that works at a Chrysler plant.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:05 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We should not be surprised that Air_Ram uses a Fram filter

Try a Fleetguard filter on your next change.
Fleetguard is a division of Cummins Engine
and exists solely to provide the best possible filter.

Learn to read the hour meter built into your PCM
and make a decision for yourself whether to go with
500 hour or 1000 hour change intervals

Study up on the subject so that you are confident,
but if you want to provide
your engine with the best filtration,
and reduce by half the No. 1 cause of engine failure,
leave your (best quality) filter on through two oil changes.

As you learn more about the subject
whether or not
your particular engine has EGR (exhaust gas recirculation)
will have a big influence on your choice of change intervals
.... this is often over looked by those starting out

Old 11-25-2008, 07:53 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by CNester
I was told that 2006 dodge hemi 5.7 motors on up, require Mopar oil filters due to a extra ruber seal inside the oil filter. This prevents the hemi tic noise when starting the engine. This is just what I was told from someone that works at a Chrysler plant.
I'm gonna call bulls!t on that. i think they're feeding you crap Nester, or they've been fed crap. The Mopar filter, I think, is just a fram. and I can just about guarantee it won't stop the tic if you have a tick already.

Originally Posted by HankL
We should not be surprised that Air_Ram uses a Fram filter
wtf does that mean anyway? i'm not kissin air ram's *** or anything, but ill be damned if i stand aside while you criticize his credibility. he's got a bad *** truck with a 4.7 that will run circles around my hemi, custom makes performance parts, and though i sometimes disagree with his advice he usually doesn't lead people astray with bad advice.

i'm not even sure you have a ram Hank, yet you fill the forums with irrelevant information and advice. yes, sometimes it's good info. but tellng people to put a CNG engine in place of their 4.7, or most of the other crap you suggest is more or less worthless.

i was very surprised AR uses fram (which I think are garbage). but notice how he doesn't use the regular fram, he uses a fram HP, which I don't know anything about so I kept my mouth shut. yes fleetgaurd is a good filter, but walk into an autozone or pep byos and ask for one. more irrelevant info.

if you want to spread info around, go for it. but wtf is this, criticizing people that have something to contribute? you always say to test and prove something right? he's got a built up truck with 100k+ miles on it with a fram HP...you got what?

Last edited by xfeejayx; 11-25-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:53 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by lxman1
I know on a Ford, the Fram filters have a crappy anti-drainback valve causing delayed oil pressure on start-ups.
drainback shouldn't be a problem on a hemi ram, the filter is upside down.

Quick Reply: oil filter cons