3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rough Country vs. Fabtech

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:27 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Country vs. Fabtech

Between the two 6" Suspension kits, which one do you/would you guys prefer on your trucks? I haven't heard much about Rough Country, but the little I have heard has been positive. Heard TONS of good things about Fabtech with the only downside being it is pricier than the Rough Country.

I want to know if the extra $4-500 for the Fabtech kit over the Rough Country is worth it, or if I would be better off buying the RC kit and upgrading the shocks with the extra money?

Thoughts/Opinions/Flames welcome

Old 03-05-2009, 08:37 PM
06CountryBoy5.7
Professional

The Fabtech kit is better quality. Not just the shocks but the kit as a whole. Rough Country is really an entry level lift kit. I had a rough country suspension lift on my Jeep. It was not as complete as I would have liked it to be, no transfer case drop, no rear brake extensions, and no extended drop pitman arms. You get what you pay for i guess. Rough country is not a bad kit though.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:37 PM
HEMI07
Veteran

I would go with Fabtech. Did you look at the BDS kits? I heard they are really good and it is a "true" 6in lift.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Hoss356
Captain

I grow up by Fabtech in corona, ca. Back then it was hard to find one of my friends who had something good to say about them, they used to be called "f*gtech", but a lot of my friend were very hard on their vehicles and I've seen their parts broken a few times. That being said, that was almost 15 years ago and I've recently looked into their facilities and am very impressed at how they run it now, they definitely have a class "A" operation, I don't think you'd go wrong to run their lift on your truck. I just wish they'd get away from that lame blue they spray everything.

Last edited by Hoss356; 03-06-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:46 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain

Originally Posted by HEMI07
I would go with Fabtech. Did you look at the BDS kits? I heard they are really good and it is a "true" 6in lift.
I have a 2wd, so my options are kind of limited in terms of the brand of lift I choose. CST, ProComp, Fabtech, and Rough Country seem to be the only ones who support 2wd.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

fabtech started out as a 2wd shop, i believe. that has always kinda been what they are known for, i have their 4x kit and it kics a$$. i say go fabtech, and they are kinda local so if you had any problems they are in socal

Old 03-06-2009, 12:37 AM
bigbuckhunter
Rookie

Depends on if your lifting your truck to punish it on the rocks, or if your lifting your truck for the occasional trip through the woods or in the mud? Im very impressed with my RC lift. the reason i chose it over the other kits is because it required no Cutting or Modifing. I think If I remember right, with the fabtec,you may have to take the truck in to the muffler shop to have the Y pipe reworked so the front drive shaft will fit. I can put my truck back to stock like nothing ever happened if I wanted.(not that im going to)and also the price was better for the RC kit. Ive heard alot of negative wrap about the RC shocks too, Mine are great. my truck rides smoother with the lift kit, than it did stock.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:11 AM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

I realize we are not jeep owners here, but in the jeepin world, they say the name says it all. Rough country, translates to a rough ride. I had one on my toyota, and it was all that....ROUGH

Old 03-06-2009, 09:09 AM
4x4HemiFreak
Rookie

go with Fabtech.. i have one and love it if i get around to it ill post some pics of what it looks like and how they change the whole front axle to make it more stable and secure than the stock ifs.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:41 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain

Now looking WAY into it I've found out that Doetsch makes a kit for 2wd trucks, so I'm going to go with that. The 7"front/4"back kit is the one I'm set on, because it will make the truck sit pre-runner (higher in the front), which is more suitable for what I do than it being level.

I appreciate all your guy's input, thanks!

Quick Reply: Rough Country vs. Fabtech