3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C Purge and Refill Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 12:57 PM
cpukramer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A/C Purge and Refill Question

I replaced my heater core a few months back and had to empty my A/C system in order to finish the job ... I don't have the equipment to refill my system properly but a friend of mine does commercial HVAC systems and offered to refill my system for me.

He asked me for the capacity of my system (in ounces or pounds) and I have been unable to find that information. I looked in the service manual but it wasn't listed.

Does anyone know what the capacity for an 2002, 4.7L should be?

Any help is much appreciated!!

Old 03-25-2009, 01:01 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Wild guess, but i wouldn't imagine more than 4lbs.
I could be way off. Check the tag under the hood. It will say usually

You couldn't have bent the line out of the way and saved the refill. Also, you can go down to your local parts store and pick up a few cans of r-134a and do it yourself. They have the kits for like $40. You simply hook to the low pressure feed, shake the cans and squirt. they give you a pen to check for leaks and a guage to read for pressure. real easy man. It has a safety/danger zone just like a fire extinguisher

Old 03-25-2009, 01:15 PM
cpukramer
Captain

Yes .. I use the do-it-yourself cans to recharge my Neon all the time. However, when you completely empty the system you are supposed to purge the system of air before you add refrigerant because if you don't the R-134 will freeze the air in the lines which can damage the compressor. lol and why should I spend $40 if my friend is going to do it for free

Yes, I had heard that you can get the information on the tag under the hood. Unfortunately my tags are all covered in this black oil (it is from the Rust Stop treatment that I get done every year). I am going to attempt at degreasing them this weekend, but was hoping that someone had the info on here so I could pass it along to my friend ahead of time.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:23 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

If your friends got the equip, then have him do it the right way. You should be throwing him $40 for doing that. the product costs $15 or so and his time too!!! Don't take take take. Gotta give for those favors unless he already owes you. Enough said.
Some of these other 4.7L guys need to check their tags under their hoods!

Last edited by dirtydog; 03-26-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Seanutz
Veteran

As a side note how long did it take to replace the heater coil? mine went bad a few monthes ago and I just DCed the hoses so it would stop leaking.

How much of the dash did you have to pull? All of it?

Old 03-25-2009, 01:31 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

I just checked and it's 7.75ounces for the 97-99's.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:37 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

My 2008 tag says 3.7/4.7/5.7 1lb 7oz. r-134a refrigerant
The diesels are 1lb 11oz

Old 03-25-2009, 01:38 PM
cpukramer
Captain

dirtydog - He owes me ... most of my friends owe me at least one or two favors. I work in IT and pretty much everyone I know is stupid enough to have gotten a few virusses in their day.

seanutz - it was a real bitch of a job ... I had to remove the entire dash (which is def a 2 person job). It took me about 8 hours, a knowledgeable friend and a full case of beer. Still better than the $600 my mechanic quoted me for the job. You can probably get it done in less time if you don't drink as much as we did and you have a little bit of a clue as to what you are doing haha.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:40 PM
cpukramer
Captain

dirtydog - thanks for the info!! ... I will go with 1 lb. 7 oz unless I hear differently from an 02 owner.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Seanutz
Veteran

OK thats what I thought...I was quoted 800 USD and that was the cheapest I could find... well looks like its gonna be an 8 hour jo cause a case of beer sounds about right. thanks for the heads up K.

Quick Reply: A/C Purge and Refill Question