3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 2 wheel drive 1500 Vibration starting to not feel safe in my truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:54 PM
buganddoug
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 2 wheel drive 1500 Vibration starting to not feel safe in my truck

My 2005 ram 1500 4 door with a 4.7L 36,600 miles on it and it has a Vibration at 1500 to 2000 RPM. I can feel it in the steering wheel and through the seat but not in the door or body. You can feel it the most at 70mph. The best part is when it is Vibrating at 70mph it will come and go. I do feel it in the steering wheel and the Seat of my pants.
I had 4 new tires put on and I still have the Vibration. They have been balance four times and I keep getting told they are good. I even had the new tires swap out under warranty just two weeks old on them. I till have the Vibration.
So I took it to the Dealer they said my water pump has play and the fan clutch was bad. I was told that is why I have the Vibration. So they put in a new water pump and fan clutch guess what I still have the Vibration.
They did put a new water pump and fan clutch in. But the new fan clutch has some play in it going back and forth (moving it from motor to rad). The service manger said that play is normal.
Dodge has replaced my Tie rods, Rack, Upper and lower ball joints left and right hub bearings about 6000 miles ago for a front end noise. All I did was adjust the hood stops higher up and I have not heard the front end noise since.

But this Vibration is pissing me off I called the dealer about the clutch fan play that is still there. I all so asked them to check out the U-joints when I drop it back off on 4/1/2009
I told them I do not feel safe driving the truck with this Vibration.
I hope some on can Help me. I am starting to feel unsafe in my Truck.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:00 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Must be a bad vibration if it feels unsafe..

Old 03-30-2009, 10:46 PM
buganddoug
Professional

It is on my way home from work when I get over 50mph it was very bad. but after 15min at 50mph it went away for the most part. When I came to a stop and the started back off it was back.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:09 PM
bigjrussell
Captain

I just had new tires put on about a month ago and notice the same vibrations. Always at 66-71 mph on the freeway. 65 and it goes away, 75-80 is smooth as butter. I was gonna take it in to the tire shop and have them rebalance all the wheels to make sure but haven't had time.

After reading what you've had done so far, it's starting to scare me. Think I should take it to the shop and rebalance?

Old 03-31-2009, 02:27 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

need a alinment check your tires , make sure your lug nuts arent fallin off , check your ball joints it could be a number of things but if its that bad take it in................ hell you dont want to die do you ?

Old 03-31-2009, 03:39 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

many times a standard tire balance won't cut it, take it to a place that has the equipment to "Road Force Balance" your tires. Besides ball joint and tie rods, I've seen the drive shaft be out of balance also, especially the aluminum ones they use in the 2wd Rams. I've know a couple guys with aluminum shafts vibrate due to balance to the point they come apart on the highway. Just ask your 3rd Gen moderator about that one...

Old 03-31-2009, 04:08 PM
bigjrussell
Captain

Problem is there was absolutely nothing like this before the new tires. Guess I just answered my own question, huh? I planned on putting a level on my truck this weekend so at least I know the lugs will be on right when I'm done with that. If I still got bad vibes I'll have the shop do whatever they need to do til it's done right.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:10 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Does it do it really bad when your accelerating? maybe you mentioned and I missed it. Im asking because maybe it could be a bad driveshaft vibration? unbalanced?

Old 03-31-2009, 04:37 PM
buganddoug
Professional

I am going to check out the u-joint and see if they are going bad.
I do get it when I accelerating, Decelerating and just at cursing speed.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:48 PM
sos
All Star

I'd say u-joints based on my prior experiences, but those usually get noisy too. Either way, I'd definitely have them checked. If you are mechanically inclined, they are not that hard to do yourself, and pretty cheap. I got a better greasable one on my old truck for about $19 a piece. You just need to rent or borrow a press (it looks like a c-clamp). Other than that, I'd have the balance checked again on the tires, since that's when the problem started.

Also, it sounds like your dealer is not very good at diagnosing problems, and is going on the "well let's try this and see if it fixes it" approach. As you've seen, that can get very expensive for you, and doesn't solve the problem. On top of that, it sounds like they are fixing parts on your truck that are perfectly fine. You might want to try another dealer or start developing a good relationship with a local repair shop.

Last edited by sos; 03-31-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Quick Reply: 2005 2 wheel drive 1500 Vibration starting to not feel safe in my truck