3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lowered Trucks: tech and info....

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 06:52 PM
thumperk15
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking for a year and always heard the Diablo stuff are great and it's what most of the Hemi guys are going with so I never searched the others. I just looked at the Trinity and it sounds pretty sweet! Found it for $549 plus shipping.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Secondhandlion

Originally Posted by Secondhandlion
SITREP: My parts company screwed up my order and now I have to go through the send-stuff-back-and-they'll-send-the-other-parts circus. I bought new upper control arms and they are somewhat rough-cast steel which I guess I'll have to clean up. I have the new lower ball joints which I'll install during the drop. Gathering the parts alone has turned into a three week effort :/
Ok, as the parts trickled in, I enlisted the help of a buddy of mine and we started on the rear flip kit. It took us about two hours as we tend to be somewhat more detail oriented (Tec/Rec scuba divers) and didn't encounter any real problems. The exhaust graciously missed everything with generous clearances and all the hardware spun loose with barely a grunt. Previous posts about vague installation instructions are spot on but if you have any suspension experience, it's not a big deal. Again, this is the McGaughy's 2/4.5 drop with Belltech shocks and so far, everything is going on easy. I have a back-up vehicle and so I am taking my time with the install, painting components, checking for worn parts, etc.
Then I got to the front end. The upper ball joint and tie rod popped loose fairly easily but the bottom ball joint was a PITA. I am replacing both upper and lower ball joints (upper ball joints are actually a whole new control arm)- the upper being straight forward but the bottom required me to remove the whole lower control arm (weighed more than I thought) and have the OEM B/J pressed out and the new one pressed in. As of right now, I am repainting the upper/lower control arms and will be installing them soon. I am excited about getting everything together and I will post pics as soon as it's done. Stay tuned!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:52 PM
TxDrifter03

First off wanna say thanks for answering most of my questions already and sorry if this has already come up in some of the middle pages i skipped. I bought my truck lowered already (2/4.5) and i bump the rear ALOT. Its a flip kit. Was wondering if i can get a kit the puts the axle back without loosing too much drop? Also what Posi-trac (generic reference) would yall suggest? Sorry if these are dumb answers but im new to the lowered scene. Last truck was on 44"

Old 03-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Brechs

Ok im a newbie so i apologized if this question has comed up already i didnt take the time to read through everything

i own a 2008 dodge ram regular cab hemi

and i hear a lot about a leveling kit which raises the front end to make it even with the rear well im not the biggest off road driver in the world so im wondering where do i go if i just want to get my rear end as low as my front end, im not looking to lower the front end i just want my truck to look leveled and not tilted as it does stock

thanks a lot in advance for those who help

cheers

Old 03-31-2011, 06:23 PM
bgbluram2
All Star

Well I had the day off today... and after reading about 45 pages of this post last night, I decided to go a different direction with my truck. In the sig, my truck had a 2" leveling spring spacer, and a 1" rear block. Well today I woke up and took the 2" spacer out of the front of the truck, and added 1" drop springs. I also took the 1" block out of the rear and added 2" drop shackles. I just bought these tires, and well, now I think I want to get some black/chrome 20's. Damn you dropped guys for making me spend money! I will get some pics in a couple hours after I wash the truck, it's a filthy mess.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Skwurlz

Originally Posted by Secondhandlion
Ok, as the parts trickled in, I enlisted the help of a buddy of mine and we started on the rear flip kit. It took us about two hours as we tend to be somewhat more detail oriented (Tec/Rec scuba divers) and didn't encounter any real problems. The exhaust graciously missed everything with generous clearances and all the hardware spun loose with barely a grunt. Previous posts about vague installation instructions are spot on but if you have any suspension experience, it's not a big deal. Again, this is the McGaughy's 2/4.5 drop with Belltech shocks and so far, everything is going on easy. I have a back-up vehicle and so I am taking my time with the install, painting components, checking for worn parts, etc.
Then I got to the front end. The upper ball joint and tie rod popped loose fairly easily but the bottom ball joint was a PITA. I am replacing both upper and lower ball joints (upper ball joints are actually a whole new control arm)- the upper being straight forward but the bottom required me to remove the whole lower control arm (weighed more than I thought) and have the OEM B/J pressed out and the new one pressed in. As of right now, I am repainting the upper/lower control arms and will be installing them soon. I am excited about getting everything together and I will post pics as soon as it's done. Stay tuned!
You don't have to press out anything. You can get the replacement balljoint with the plate. Simply grind out the rivets and replace with grade 10 bolts and hardware. This makes future service much, much faster, and servicable via common hand tools. You don't even need to remove the LCA.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Skwurlz

Originally Posted by TxDrifter03
First off wanna say thanks for answering most of my questions already and sorry if this has already come up in some of the middle pages i skipped. I bought my truck lowered already (2/4.5) and i bump the rear ALOT. Its a flip kit. Was wondering if i can get a kit the puts the axle back without loosing too much drop? Also what Posi-trac (generic reference) would yall suggest? Sorry if these are dumb answers but im new to the lowered scene. Last truck was on 44"
Check the rear hanger, on my DJM kit, it has 4 bolt hole positions, the lower the hole, the higher the truck.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Skwurlz

MY beater, I need to get new pics, as all the lighting is now smoked:
Name:  IMG00070-20110125-1637.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  49.3 KB

DJM A-Arms:
Name:  IMG00127-20110406-1559.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  28.0 KB

3/5 DJM, using drop LCA's and a flip kit. When I get my wheels, I plan on going another 2" down front, with drop spindles, and a 4 link out back. Then replacing the spring with bellows....

Old 04-13-2011, 03:03 AM
bgbluram2
All Star

Skwurlz, the truck looks great. 2" lower in the front? It doesn't look like you can go 2" lower, but I know nothing about lowered trucks. I took the O/L spring out on my truck so it is about 3" lower than it was and the front is down about 3" from where it was with the leveling kit too. I also got the 2010 20" wheels and plasti-dipped them yesterday. The truck looks completely different. I will try to get it washed up and get some pictures up here.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:32 PM
TxDrifter03

Thanks skwurlz. Nice truck. Same stance as my 03. Mines black with 18's and pretty much stock. Have no idea what kits on it. Anybody in here know about a Coilover 4 link for our trucks? Or maybe a good shop in North Texas (DFW) to talk to about it.

Quick Reply: Lowered Trucks: tech and info....