3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need some advice guys...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 05:02 PM
V10Venom
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kx250frider617
Ill tell you right now, Your engine is TOO small for a lift and tires like that, my hemi is way too small also. GAs milage will really suck. Even a diesel can handle it but that big of a truck is unpractical. Dont get me wrong it would look good, but just way overkill. I would keep the wheels, buy some low profile street tires and then drop that thing. That way the engine mods will be VERY noticable. My uncle had a hemi megacab lifted 6" with 35" tires and that thing was a dog. It couldn't even handle its own weight. Thats my opinion, but its your truck. It just sucks when you regret buying something haha. all of us have done that.
Gears will be helping by a lot.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:05 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well what about the brakes, and the light duty suspension, axles, drivetrain which is all designed for 31" tires. Remember its a 1500 2wd. Not a 3500

Old 10-26-2009, 06:45 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain

You have to remember that if you don't end up putting all this on it will probably be a lot more difficult to sell those wheels/tires then you think. The market for 38's on 24's is kinda slim.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:53 PM
xill
Captain

Originally Posted by CreativeOffroad
You have to remember that if you don't end up putting all this on it will probably be a lot more difficult to sell those wheels/tires then you think. The market for 38's on 24's is kinda slim.
yea thats part of my decision too. a ton of people love the look of 38s on 24s, but not everybody can afford them doubt id take less than $4k for wheels & tires together. i'm gonna post a CL ad to test the waters. maybe that'll help me decide too

Old 10-26-2009, 07:14 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say go for it! you have gone this far and you are not gonna be beating on this truck so it will hold up fine.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:18 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you have money blowing outta ur *** stay with it. I mean the truck will look huge but in my opinion, when it becomes a chore just to move the truck and you end up driving the others cars around town, it isn't worth doing it all too. If you have your mind set on a lift go for it but just keep in mind, there's a point when whatever you do to your tuck that is over the top and overkill, it's that much harder to sell it when you are tired of it. Trust me. No ONE that has enough money is in the market for a huge lifted truck. Im not trying to persuade you not to do it but just think hard if it is worth it.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:36 AM
xill
Captain

had a nice long chat with nick at airram.com earlier today. he says i'll have no problem at all really. my motor is plenty powerful enough to handle the extra weight, and my transmission wont have any problems at all either. with the 4.88s in the rear i'll most likely feel better acceleration than i do now with my 3.55s, my transmission will have to work less than it does now, and my MPGs wont suffer too badly if i even notice a change in that at all, even with the larger tires and wheels. mathematically everything is in line so i should have zero problems getting these things to spin. the 4.88s will be doing all the work for this. he compared the outcome to be similar to running slightly larger gears with my stock setup. the only concern would be possibly wearing out my power steering sooner than normal but it'll take some time to do that kind of damage. but thats an easy fix. just go to the dealer and get them to install the HD version they use on the 2500s and 3500s. it'll bolt right up and runs about $600. but since my truck is pretty new, that'll take a few years to wear out, if at all. so i'm gonna go through with it, ive already come this far and spent this much so i'm gonna at least try it out. if i dont like it i'll bump down to 20s and have the lift removed and gears switched out for the 4.56s. not like it's not reversible. nothing is permanent. if nothing else it's a learning experience for me and maybe i can share some of what i'm learning with the next guy that wants to do this. thanks for all your opinions guys, i'll keep you posted

Old 10-28-2009, 12:22 PM
cjs4444
All Star

OK xill, well you made up you mind again....and i think the wheels are done....so wwhen s this thing going to the shop?

Old 10-28-2009, 02:19 PM
xill
Captain

yea the wheels are done now, just gotta get up to riverside to pick'em up. ill be doing that tomorrow or friday. its about a 3 hr drive with san bernardino traffic so i gotta schedule time to get it done. if all goes well the truck'll be getting dropped off for the lift on saturday morning.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:41 AM
SpeedRat955i
Rookie

Its Sunday... whats the status? You have pics of tires on the rims? When is the truck done at the shop getting the lift?

Quick Reply: need some advice guys...