3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need some advice guys...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 02:55 PM
xill
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some advice guys...

those of you that know me on here know that i've been planning to lift my truck with nice wheels and tires for a few months now. well i finally got everything together, 38x14 r24 kumhos, 24" custom drilled and chromed xd monsters, a 7" pro comp lift, 4.88 gears, superchips cortex, a custom fab grille, side steps, and a few other things. well, i just found out this weekend that we're having another baby (yay! i hope its a girl this time) so i'm gonna be trading in my LS for an SUV with 3 rows for all these kids. so that means my 4.7L ram will become my daily driver. this has me a little nervous about putting these big heavy wheels and tires on it now (wheels & tires are about 200lbs on each corner). since i could never find anyone that's done this with a 4.7 before, i dont really know what to expect from this big of a change. i figure the 4.88s and superchips tune would help even everything out, but i dont know for sure. my wife's telling me to mod the truck for street performance and look into getting a CTD after the baby's born and that can be my "big lifted toy" instead. it seems logical but it really sucks that i already dropped all this money into it and am now thinking of changing directions at the last minute. but i guess it would also suck to have all this stuff on my truck and it end up not working out too well for me.

so i want your guys' opinions. should i pick up some 20s on falken street tires, mod the 4.7 for daily street use and sell the 24s on 38s along with the lift kit and stuff, or just have everything installed anyhow and hope the truck does well with it? obviously i could get more money from the tires and wheels if they remain unmounted and unused. im on the fence with this, someone push me in the right direction...

Old 10-26-2009, 03:12 PM
V10Venom
Captain

I went from 31" tires to 35" tires and I'm guessing that going from 35" tires to 38" would be a similar change. Of course they are going to weigh in at a lot more it sounds like. I would really chance it and put it all together. How many miles will you be driving a week with this setup? Also, it really depends on what your budget is like. Obviously it'd be a dream of any Dodge owner to have a lowered SRT-10 sitting right next to their lifted CTD sitting in the driveway, but in reality that just doesn't fit into everyone's budget. I like to look for the happy medium with one truck. Anyways, so ask your wallet the question. If you can afford the CTD, do it! If you can't try what you already started. Sounds like you already dropped a lot of money in to this project, and you won't in any way get it back out.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:26 PM
xill
Captain

i work from home, so i don't have to drive that much. my driving is more of running to the starbucks, going out to eat, or driving for the fun of driving. i might put 100 miles a week on my truck at best, with an occasional weekend trip. i can afford the CTD, just didnt know i would want one back when i bought this 4.7

Old 10-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

diesels need to be driven hard, given your driving habits, stick with the gas engine.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:37 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep your truck and put the stuff on it

Old 10-26-2009, 03:39 PM
xill
Captain

Originally Posted by Pyro
diesels need to be driven hard, given your driving habits, stick with the gas engine.
thanks ill keep that in mind. ive never driven a diesel before. this is actually my first truck, ive driven nothing but sedans and sports vehicles in the past, but now im definitely a truck guy. but the CTD would be a while off anyhow. my current dilemma is whether to continue with this lift or not given that this will now be my daily driver instead of just a hobby/toy.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:59 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

There is nothing wrong with having a big truck as a hobby/toy and dd. Hell my truck is my hobby/toy/ and dd, Now I know its not lifted and on big *** wheels and tires but its the same concept though.

Also look at it this way, your wife is telling you to go out and build a street truck and a monster 4x4. Personally if it were me and my wife said that I'd be in heaven, I'd go pick up a 2500 with a hemi and throw all the suspension/lift/wheels and tires on it since more than likely that 4.7 is not going to be able to take it for a very long time. Then deck out the 4.7 into an awsome street truck. I guess what I am getting at is that if you have the oportunity to get the right vehicle for the right job/mods do it.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:08 PM
xill
Captain

Originally Posted by truckin151
since more than likely that 4.7 is not going to be able to take it for a very long time. Then deck out the 4.7 into an awsome street truck.
this is my concern with adding this lift and heavy wheels/tires to my DD. how's the 4.7L gonna hold up with continuous use? no one has been able to tell me anything cuz no one has done this before, but dont wanna kill my tranny or overwork my motor and not sure if the 4.88s will be enough to relieve the strain. it wasnt much of an issue when it wasnt my DD, but now that it will be again here soon im rethinking my plans

Old 10-26-2009, 04:10 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ask nick at airram, he will tell u what you need engine wise...
http://www.airram.com/

Old 10-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 4.7 is a tougher motor than most give it credit for, with 4.88s it'll hold up. It won't be fast. The only thing you're gonna have to worry about is the front suspension holding up, the lift components are usually much heavier than necessary and should be fine. Your powersteering is another story, you can put the SRT10's powersteering rack and pump on a 1500, it'll bolt right up and is designed to handle more abuse.

Quick Reply: need some advice guys...