3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 5.7l shaking when braking!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 04:54 PM
joe328
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 04 5.7l shaking when braking!!!!

I have a 2004 dodge ram 5.7L single cab truck only has 50000 miles on it and I ran into some stopping issues. I replaced all of the brakes front and back, but when I got to the passenger side rear brakes I noticed that there where little chunks taking out of the piston on the calliper. I replaced the calliper along with new washers for the hose and rebleed all 4 corners of the truck and I still have stopping issues. When I begin to apply pressure the truck starts shaking really bad, and I know most would say it is the rotors, but its not I check those as well. So this is where I am at and I am not sure what else to do. I would like to get this fixed myself so I can save some cash. I will take all the help that is given. Thank you in advance.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:28 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

So you said you replaced all of the front brakes...What exactly did you replace? What all did you change out on the back of the truck?

Old 01-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the calipers and pads mounted correctly and securely? If they're vibrating it could cause uneven braking and the shake you are describing.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:46 PM
joe328

I changed all of the brake pads on all four corners and the calliper on the passenger rear brake. along with bleeding them all to assure no air in the line. I did install right they only went on one way. I have talked to some people and they where saying maybe the shock, but that wouldnt make sense beause I should feel it at all speeds.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:53 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

I know you checked out the rotors, but I'm thinking one of the rotors is out of round, possibly that one on the back that you had problems with the caliper. You may not notice it just running your hand over them. You may want to take them off and have them turned at a machine shop or buy some new ones. We have a napa that will turn rotors for I think 15 bucks a piece around here in FL, but I bough new front rotors not too long ago and I think they were about 40 bucks a piece. If you have an out of round rotor and you put new pads on there it will shake because the old pads had worn to the shape of the rotor where the new pads haven't and aren't making full contact. Just a thought.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:59 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cwboyjohnny24
I know you checked out the rotors, but I'm thinking one of the rotors is out of round, possibly that one on the back that you had problems with the caliper. You may not notice it just running your hand over them. You may want to take them off and have them turned at a machine shop or buy some new ones. We have a napa that will turn rotors for I think 15 bucks a piece around here in FL, but I bough new front rotors not too long ago and I think they were about 40 bucks a piece. If you have an out of round rotor and you put new pads on there it will shake because the old pads had worn to the shape of the rotor where the new pads haven't and aren't making full contact. Just a thought.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:04 PM
joe328

Ok I want to add that this truck was sitting for 12 months while I was away. When I got back I drove it for about 3 months and all of a sudden this started to happen. I was wondering if there was any other thing that it could be if resurfacing the rotor did not work? Thank you in advance.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:11 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

To be honest I don't think so. If you bled the brakes, the fluid has moved. I think I'm gonna stick with the rotors. The only other option is a sticking caliper.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:36 PM
joe328

I am going to go get that rotor turned tomorrow, but I replaced the calliper already and still shaking, so I will postif the turning worked or not.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:34 PM
joe328
Default New worries

Ok, I said I was going to take the rotor off and get it resurfaced, however; I figured that getting a new rotor with a new calliper and brakes would be best. Now I tried to do this today and I could not get the rotor off and I do not understand why? Along with trying to do that I noticed that the WEEK OLD calliper that I just put on had a chunk taking out on it. I am not understanding why this could have happing so quick.

I was thinking maybe me not being able to get the rotor off could have something to do with this. That the rotor was sticking still when I try to brake. Anybody have any ideas about this thought please let me know. Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: 04 5.7l shaking when braking!!!!