3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trouble with hidextra.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:03 PM
EASTTEXASDODGE08
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble with hidextra.

ok so i ordered my hid kit from hid extra and got them in and i put one in and worked fine then the other one went to ****. my other ballast and bulb was out, they said its very rare to have both out cause i tried switchin to see wat was the deal and it was both. I had some lady i talked to that was short with me. Hell they said i gotta return it but the lady i talked to was bein short and didnt wanna talk to her. and plus i dont have time. do they not test before they ship out? and i was bout to order my headlights from them but not now. has anybody bought any from buyhidkits.com?? they come with a 2 year warranty and you can add a lifetime warrant all for like $85.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Animal Mother
Captain

half this forum has bought from them it seems and ive seen a few people with issues. I didnt get mine from them though so I dont have any experience with their product

Old 02-04-2010, 10:10 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

So let me get this right, one bulb and ballast work and the other bulb and ballast do not work. Right? So what happens if you swap them around to make sure it is the bulb or the ballast or both?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:22 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Did you have the (-) and (+) the right way? Just checking......
They are sending you a replacement, correct?

Old 02-04-2010, 11:11 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

i just got my kits today, only had time to install the fogs, one of the ballast is bad. read my post in w/e other thread i wrote in before seeing this one on what they wanted to do to fix it, i couldnt believe that crap

Old 02-05-2010, 12:14 AM
mdram43
Record Breaker

i gotta be honest with you, im completely disappointed. I was hoping they'd show up, I'd plug em right in like everyone else, no problem. But thats never the case. I figured the least they could do was rush deliver me a working one, but i guess that'd be great customer service and that no longer exist in this world.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:55 AM
AWE Daniel
Veteran

I had a problem with them at first too. The magnetic Ballast that they use in the cheaper kit is junk. I had one DOA, I had to send it back and wait for a new one. I didn't want to wait so I bought a replacement ballast and paid for overnight shipping (30$). I was happy for a week and then the second original ballast started working intermittently and then finally failed also. (So that's BOTH original shipped ballast dead). I sent it all back for a refund. Beside from the person answering the phones not speaking english very well, they weren't rude or anything.

Now a month ago I saw they had new Digital Ballasts (they call em slim), I ordered those and haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood). Talking with a few buddies that have HID kits the magnetic ballasts are hit or miss, my case was 100% miss. What I like about HIDextra's kit is the error capacitor thing works well on our trucks, I tried another kit from ddm tuning and their error thing didnt work, so keep in mind you might wanna buy some ebay resistors if you go that route.

Last edited by AWE Daniel; 02-05-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:54 AM
EASTTEXASDODGE08
Professional

ya i tried switching ballasts and bulbs and same thing. so turned out one ballast and one bulb was bad which they said was very rare to happen. ya seems if there was a problem they would hurry to fix it but there taking there sweet ole easy time. really frustrating when ive been waiting and exciting about finally getting them and they dont work pain in the ***..

Old 02-05-2010, 07:33 AM
explorer9950
Veteran

I had sort of the same issue with them, my bulbs had stains on the bulbs making the color different on both one headlight and one foglight. I was told to take the whole setup out, send it back, wait for them to test it, then if they thought it was wrong, they would send me a replacement. F That!!

Old 02-05-2010, 08:24 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey, i know all about waiting to buy something, saving up, researching, buying, waiting, installing and *****, something didn't go right.

But with electronics I learned a log time ago just because it is new doesn't mean it will work. Sorry to hear the streak of bad luck but they will get it right.

Quick Reply: trouble with hidextra.