3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wire an amp to a stock radio???

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:34 PM
96rumbledodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wire an amp to a stock radio???

i have a 2007 dodge ram with the stock radio i wanna run a single kicker 10in sub with a kicker amp but i dont wanna change out my radio to do it.
I hope this wont be a pain in the butt
what to do?

Old 03-12-2010, 09:41 AM
hemi slappin
Professional

lol its very very simple! i have a 10 and an amp with the stock radio in my truck.. i went to the flee market and you can get an RCA box (i dont remember exactly what its called im sorry) but you plug the rca wires from your amp into that box and hook the wires from the box up to your door speaker wires and thats it.. i put my amp under my front and you plug everything in like normal.. ohh and the remote turn on wire idk how to hook that up so i have it looped to the power wire so its always on lol.. but it works and sounds great!! hope this helps

Old 03-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Adam_MA
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The device you need is called a line level converter. Also, the remote wire on the amp should be attached to any switched 12V power to turn the amp on and off with the ignition.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:23 PM
96rumbledodge
Veteran

this will be harder than I think? I was hoping I could just pop the radio out and plug the wires in but of course it's not that eAsy? I guess I'll pay someone to do it

Old 03-12-2010, 03:00 PM
hemi slappin
Professional

no man its not hard at all lol you honestly cant mess it up... take your driver side rear door panel off and unscrew the speaker and take it out.. attach the wires from the rca box to the speaker wires then tape or secure some way to the panel then plug your rca wires into the bottom of the box and run the rca wires to wherever your putting your amp and then put the door panel back on and then hook the amp and speaker like you normally would and your done... the remote turn on you can either find a 12 volt on/off power supply or loop it directly to the powerwire spot on the amp (it will constantly stay on that way fyi) its not that har at all dont waste your money paying someone to do it

Old 03-12-2010, 05:19 PM
mike_r
Professional

If you clip onto the wires right behind the radio, you'll get better sound quality because you don't have all the eq and crossover that's going on in the infinity amp (if you have it.) Ether way, going behind the radio would be easier to route wires to the back.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:20 PM
jose13b
Veteran

Originally Posted by mike_r
If you clip onto the wires right behind the radio, you'll get better sound quality because you don't have all the eq and crossover that's going on in the infinity amp (if you have it.) Ether way, going behind the radio would be easier to route wires to the back.
he's right if you live near jersey I will hook you up for free you need to use the wires behind the radio buy the radio wire harness from a autoparts store then pull you radio out plug the harness and look at the new wires from the harness they should match the wires for the high low convertor that you using for the rca's splice the wires on the radio side then put the harness back in the box the take it back and get your 8 dollars back or keep it for a future install of a after market radio
the speaker wires you are looking for should be

driver passenger
front
dark green/yellow (+) gray/yellow
Dark green/LT blue (-) gray/LT blue
rear
gray/LT green (+) Dark green/gray
gray/dark green (-) dark green/LT green

for power use a test light and find the 12 volts at the harness that comes on when you turn the key

Old 03-15-2010, 07:47 PM
jose13b
Veteran
Old 03-15-2010, 07:49 PM
jose13b
Veteran
Old 03-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this would be the eazyest (i know thats not a word lol)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...#ht_3488wt_856
Name:  cwh637andcwh638pic4.jpg
Views: 9060
Size:  50.9 KB

Quick Reply: wire an amp to a stock radio???