3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tonneau Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:48 AM
boopadoopa
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tonneau Question

When you get a tonneau cover do you have to remove the tailgate protector? The bulky one that looks like a fin? Or do you just leave it on? I know My brother in law got a cap and they removed his but do they remove it when you install a tonneau? The top is sort of ribbed does it create an issue whit sealing good keeping water out? Any pictures out there on how it looks

Old 03-25-2010, 08:59 AM
nateroach
Veteran

what type of tonneau are you looking to get? For hard shells you might have to depending on if the tonneau rolls down over the top of the tailgate, but for a roll up or folding tunneau you probably wouldn't have to. I have an Access Lorado, and the tailgate protector stays.

PS. Nice truck... VV

Old 03-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Beastro
Veteran

I just put mine on and in the dierctions it didnt say to take anyhting off. I dont have one of those but put it on if it looks like there is an issue with it take it off.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:10 AM
boopadoopa
Professional

Im looking at a roll up one.. Velcro style and my truck has the tailgate spoiler on it? I like the look of it and do not want to remove it but none of the sites says a thing or has a picture to show what it looks like when leaving the spoiler on.. Actually all they all show Chevys??? And I looked thru pictures on this site but no one shows the back of their trucks only sides and fronts not showing any with a view im looking for? Thanks

Old 03-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Bent
Veteran

I have a factory liner on my 2004, when I installed a retrax tonneau cover, I had to trim the box liner at the front to accommodate the canister, but the tailgate cover was able to stay and actually helps the seal.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Beastro
Veteran

Originally Posted by boopadoopa
Im looking at a roll up one.. Velcro style and my truck has the tailgate spoiler on it? I like the look of it and do not want to remove it but none of the sites says a thing or has a picture to show what it looks like when leaving the spoiler on.. Actually all they all show Chevys??? And I looked thru pictures on this site but no one shows the back of their trucks only sides and fronts not showing any with a view im looking for? Thanks
Thats what I just put on a velcro rollup and there is a little flap that goes on top of the tailgate ur tailgate spoiler will not be in the way of this at all il try to get a pic of it so you can see what im talking about.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:55 PM
sr77

Originally Posted by boopadoopa

I have the same tailgate protector on mine as well. I just bought and installed this cover after a ton a research. http://www.jcwhitney.com/truxport-ro.../p2010334.jcwx

Looks awesome on my truck and goes out towards the edge of the bedrail which helps to funnel water awat from the bed. You can't go wrong with this cover. Free shipping to boot!

Shane

Old 03-25-2010, 05:58 PM
sr77

Sorry, can't get the right link to paste. Go to JCwhitney and look at the Truxedo roll up soft tonneau cover! it is $299 shipped. That is the one I was talking about in above post.

Shane

Old 03-25-2010, 06:02 PM
WhiteRamTRX4
Rookie

I just got a hard tonneau cover today and it had to come off. I'm probably going to make a fiberglass "copy" cut it some and fiberglass it to the cover.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:22 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Nope, leave it on
Name:  IMG_0032.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  105.3 KB

Quick Reply: Tonneau Question