3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just another day in modding season...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010 | 06:28 PM
AF_HEMI
|
Champion
Default Just another day in modding season...

Yesterday was the bags, today is the tint. Been wanting to get this done for a long time, but never got around to it. Just got 20% front (to match the rear) as well as the windsheild peice.

As you can also see, I've debadged recently. I'll be putting new badges back on even though i really kinda like the naked look.

Sorry for the crappy pics... its been raining ALLLLL day.

Name:  2010-06-03171920.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  84.8 KB

Old 06-03-2010 | 06:31 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Did you do the tint yourself or get someone to do it for you? Looks great.

Old 06-03-2010 | 06:38 PM
AF_HEMI
|
Champion

I was gonna do it myself, but just dont have the time to do it. Tint is one of those things -- its extremely time consuming if you're not really experienced. I wanted a QUALITY job, and i know i wouldnt be able to do the quality of a pro whos been in the business for 33 yrs.

Its a little more than most of you can get it, but he's the cheaper of only two tint shops in town so they can afford to price gouge a bit. The front windows and window strip with lifetime warranty against fading, cracking, blistering, scratching, or any other defect (regardless of cause) came to $120.

oh yeah... i was out the door in 45 minutes. Now THATS efficient. It would have taken me 8 hrs to do this quality of a job

Old 06-03-2010 | 06:39 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Post some pics of the bags. The tint looks good.

Old 06-03-2010 | 06:42 PM
AF_HEMI
|
Champion
Old 06-03-2010 | 07:04 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Tint looks good, 120 doesnt sound that bad to me, the shop I am going to prices it at 50 per window. But they use LLumar tint which is top of the line tint, I am going to have them strip the rear windows and match them perfectly, 20 percent all around.

Old 06-03-2010 | 07:31 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Of all the mods on my truck I've paid for two to be done for me. One was the gears/LSD installation and the other was my tint. I've NEVER been able to put tint film on without getting bubbles from hell. Dunno if I just don't have the patience or what.

The back were really dark from the factory (guess it's part of the Laramie package cause the SLTs on the lot were not that dark, so I only needed my two front windows done. A car stereo shop in Georgia did it, charged me $60 and was done in twenty minutes. Well worth it for me...

Old 06-03-2010 | 07:48 PM
AF_HEMI
|
Champion

cherry i dont think they can remove the rear tint. as best i know, its inside the glass. Because its in the glass, theres really no way to get it to look the same both inside and out. 20% matches from the outside, but its darker on the inside.

Old 06-03-2010 | 08:09 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

I'm going to need full tint in the future, right now I only have a strip across my front windshield. Apparently not legal I'm told. Believe me I'll pay someone to do it for me. I think it was 63' when I got it in my head that my low rider needed darker windows. I found a product for spraying on store windows to darken them. So I set this mess up and taped everything off and spray it all over the place. It came out better than you might think. Nothing to compare to today/s quality tinting, but pretty kool for the day.

Old 06-03-2010 | 08:13 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
I think it was 63' when I got it in my head that my low rider needed darker windows.
My mother didn't even have her drivers license yet in '63 and it was four years after that before I was born. And they call ME the old man!!!

Quick Reply: Just another day in modding season...