3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tire Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:53 AM
nh5
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Balancing

Alright, I haven't posted about this before but its been going on for over a year now. My tires constantly need rebalancing. I got a shop who the guy most of the time does em for free for me or for 20 bucks.

But anyways, I always get a vibration over 50 it gets worse in the hot weather (guessing due to the pressure increase).

Every month or so it seems I gotta go back and get em balanced. Anyone else have this? The shop does have a nice high speed balancer?

Tires are Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus. Rims are the stock 20's

Old 07-02-2010, 02:56 AM
Rookie1500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How come you think the vibration is due to the tires? Ever change the rims and tires to see if that solves the issue?

Last edited by Rookie1500; 07-02-2010 at 03:01 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:20 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

In all the years I have had rides I have never had to go back each month to get my tires balanced.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:09 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ ditto. If you have to get them rebalances every so often, then it sounds like either the belts are separating (tire issue)
Or you have some other problem going on where the tires are to be blamed as when they wear a tiny bit, they could be amplifying an existing problem.
I'd have your front end looked at and make sure you tierods/balljoints...etc are all good and are not in need of service.
Also, have you ever done an alignment? If not and the front end is solid..I would have one done. Even though you maybe tracking straight, your alignment could still be off.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:58 AM
MongoDV8
Professional

So many things can cause a vibration. I doubt your tires are causing it unless you are getting extreme wear on them that would require rebalancing so often. If that were the case you would notice the wear on the tread.

Does the vibration feel like it's mostly in the seat or the steering wheel or both ? In the seat would indicate rear wheel, diff, ujoint, rear brake or trans problem etc. Steering wheel would be more of a front wheel, wheel bearing, steering linkage, front brake or engine problem.

Does the vibration change when you brake ? Does it change when you coast or speed up ? Does it change when you swerve from left to right ?

Old 07-02-2010, 04:44 PM
nh5
Veteran

No extreme wear, the tires are wearing normally, just they loose balance and they have to be redone.

The guy at the shop did pull a lot of yellow gook out of the tires one day. I remember it was the tire putty the other shop I had the tires put on at used to mount em. The front end is solid.

Alignment is absolutely perfect and was done last june after a honda civic clipped my front wheel and broke the cast suspension on the drivers side. The cast arm that the tie rod attaches to not the tie rod cracked. Cheap cast metal on these trucks. But anyways, when that was done the tie rods, ball joint and everything was replaced on the drivers and the passenger side looks good.

I do get a lot of squeaking from my shocks though, I know they need replacement soon but otherwise I can't figure this out.

The guy at the shop told me the putty in the tires is probably kicking around in them causing the balancing the change.

The shop I originally had the tires put on at wasn't the greatest place to be.

Also the vibration does not change when I speed up or coast, its just there around 65 normally causes the whole entire truck to shake a bit.

Also these tires recommend 44, dodge recommends 35psi I fill to about 39-40 normally.

The shaking is in both the seat and the wheel but the wheel is less then the seat.

When I bring em to get them balanced they balance on the machine fine, stay good for a few weeks and then the truck starts shaking again.

2 of the rims are new from dodge that I bought a few weeks after I bought the truck. The 2 back originals ones weren't taken care of too well so I replaced em.

Both front hub bearings were replaced about 8 months ago.

I've heard a ton of things it could be, but if it was really something more then the tires just being out of balance wouldn't it not be solved by re-balancing them?

If I can't stop this sometime in the near future I'm probably just gonna sell the truck.

Once these tires are on the rim is it possible to even pull these off again, cause after seeing the shop I had the tires put on at use all the putty I think that is probably the most likely the issue there.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:39 PM
MongoDV8
Professional

I worked at a Goodyear shop years ago but I have never heard of tire putty. So... if there is putty rolling around in your tires then how do they expect to balance them ? I guess I would have all the tires removed from the rims, and have them check the runout of the wheels at that time. If the rims check out ok then have them clean any crap outta the tires, remount and rebalance then go from there.

Theres no way your tires/wheels should go out of balance in that short time. If they don't find any putty rolling around in there and you are convinced it's tires then I would replace the tires. If you have a buddy with a similar truck you could swap him wheels just to prove it.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Markmm0000
Professional

try another shop. is it throwing weights ? do you have any sort of lift done to the truck? is it a 4x4?

Old 07-02-2010, 09:09 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

I've only had to re-balance when it's pitched a wheel weight. A warped rotor can cause this, even though you're not actually on the brakes. Mine had that weirdness. Trued the rear rotors and it vanished.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:12 PM
nh5
Veteran

Well it was a bin of this yellow gook that the guy used to help get the tire on the rim easier. It was a real bitch for him to get them on the rims. So I'm gonna take em get em pulled off and cleaned out or should I just get a new set.

Quick Reply: Tire Balancing