3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got me buffaloed... vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Tazman40
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got me buffaloed... vibration?

My 06 has got me stumped.Its hard to explain but between 40 mph and 45 i can feel this ever so mild vibration in the throttle pedel and steering wheel.A few weeks ago it started as a very mild ticking feeling and then went away for a few days.I thought it was a rock in one of my Zeons.Now its the very sutle vibration.It does it in gear and coasting in neutral.I have jacked it up,front and back at least a half dozen times and shook,pried,kicked, the tires,u name it ive done it.I cant find any loose parts.I thought it might be a front wheel bearing but still not sure.I had the tires rotated and balanced a few weeks ago.It almost feels like a big lugged mud tire vibration.I almost chalked it up to that but i dont think the zeon lugs are big enough to do it.Ive checked air preasure with no help.Have also checked all the u joints.

One thing i did find is when i jack the rear up i get a very little up and down movement with a bar prying under the tire on both sides.Im not sure how much axle play there is on these so i dont know if the bearings are getting bad or not.

Any ideas would be appreciated,shes got me beating my head against the wall.Little things like this drive me nuts.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:36 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe it is just a slight balancing issue with the tires

Old 08-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya you could have lost a wheel weight, and chunks of rubber missing?

Old 08-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Tazman40
Professional

Well i thought the same.Tires look good yet and i did check for missing weight.What i did just do is put 54 lbs in them,4 lbs over recommended just to see.Drove it around and it is better,still barely feel it,but not like it was, so im chaulking it up to tires.Just have to see if it gets worse.

thanks for the replys

Old 08-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Matt99
Champion

Go to where you bought the tires and get them balanced, should do it for free

Old 08-08-2010, 04:28 PM
bamataco
Veteran

There is a slight posibility that one of the tires is out of round. Maybe by only a little bit. I had a company truck and couldn't find the problem. I eventually guessed at this. And it turned out to be the problem.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Tazman40
Professional

I had them balanced and rotated like 3 weeks ago when i had it inspected but that doesnt mean one couldnt be a little out of wack again.I think by winter im gonna get different tires being these really suck in the snow.My goal is to get 17 inch wheels and tires and get rid of these big donuts but im not sure the budget is gonna allow it this year.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:40 PM
outcast
Professional

my boss's truck did the same thing and it turned out to be a cracked front hub he replaced it and the other one broke like 5k miles later

Old 08-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Tazman40
Professional

Originally Posted by outcast
my boss's truck did the same thing and it turned out to be a cracked front hub he replaced it and the other one broke like 5k miles later
hmmmm,well thats interesting,ill have to do a closer inspection of the front end.Thanks for the info

Old 08-08-2010, 09:05 PM
luckydt
Veteran

Do a search on google. These trucks are known for a vibration in the speeds you speak of. It has been known to be the driveshaft out of balance and or the bearing that meets the driveshaft being shot. It also states that sometimes those fix the issue and sometimes they don't. The dodge dealerships know about this problem and there really isn't a fix other then guessing. Hopefully you get lucky and it's just the tire out of round.

Quick Reply: Got me buffaloed... vibration?