3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 02:19 AM
Deathrend
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
I had everything pulled up on the HIDextra site, but all I saw were the relays and the "cancellers", which I believe are the caps, correct? Per the first post on this thread, caps are not recommended as they pull too much current through the small gauge wiring we have for our headlights. I do not want this, as, besides the wiring, the electrical connectors and other components of the system are just not designed for that type of draw.

I would hate to have to purchase from other than HIDextra at this point, one because of the sale they are currently having, and two because of all the great reviews I've read here...but if they don't have exactly what I need I would have to spend more at somewhere like http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/
The 08 Doesn't need resistors, you have to buy the $10 relay harness from them for the head's. The fogs are just plug and play, no extra wiring needed.

With that said, I had a lot of issues with my Xeons from them, so many that I removed them and just went to Silverstar/Stilverstar Ultra's. I had a ballast that would work "Some times" for my left light, and my right light would change high/low side from time to time (It fell out once, when I put it back I had to require the high/low yet again as it didn't really like in like a normal light, was too tight to really twist all the way around).

Both of my fog ballasts messed with the radio, and the tire sensors, giving me a low tire warning after half an hour or so of driving with them on.

It was to many issues for me, and not nearly reliable enough for my taste. I was afraid I would wind up with a ticket as well, if it was to go out during the day without my noticing, not to mention it just looked tacky..

I plan to try to return them at some point, maybe give it a second chance, but I'm too annoyed as we speak.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:02 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by Deathrend
The 08 Doesn't need resistors, you have to buy the $10 relay harness from them for the head's. The fogs are just plug and play, no extra wiring needed.

With that said, I had a lot of issues with my Xeons from them, so many that I removed them and just went to Silverstar/Stilverstar Ultra's. I had a ballast that would work "Some times" for my left light, and my right light would change high/low side from time to time (It fell out once, when I put it back I had to require the high/low yet again as it didn't really like in like a normal light, was too tight to really twist all the way around).

Both of my fog ballasts messed with the radio, and the tire sensors, giving me a low tire warning after half an hour or so of driving with them on.

It was to many issues for me, and not nearly reliable enough for my taste. I was afraid I would wind up with a ticket as well, if it was to go out during the day without my noticing, not to mention it just looked tacky..

I plan to try to return them at some point, maybe give it a second chance, but I'm too annoyed as we speak.
That's really discouraging, especially the tire sensor and radio part
And I thought that a retrofit would be easy by 2011. Figures.
I have the money for the more expensive kits, but I think I'd rather spend it on a bull bar and 3" spindle leveling kit now.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:09 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It is a common thing for them to mess with radio and other signal related devices. You have to remember guys that these are HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights power by ballasts and transformers. They are powerful and can/do emit EMI/EFI.

I really do not recommend plain xenon setups. Bixenon is the way to go even though you wont use the high beams 90% of the time.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:19 PM
05Redram
Professional

Im having a weird intermittent problem with my hids. Ive had them in since january with the resistors tied in and they would sometimes turn off and then right back on. The other night i was out and they started doing it repeadly to the point where i had to turn them off and just use my fogs. does anyone have this problem and what is the best way to fix it? Do i need some capacitors also?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:16 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Sounds like you may have a bad connection somewhere. Since you have resistors you will not need caps also. But check all your connections. I know i had one harness where I got a corroded pin at the white harness that goes to my bixenon relay. I replaced the harness and then months later I got the same issue and found another pin was corroded and broke off at the relay.

If i went out there and wiggled the connection my lights would come on

Old 03-15-2011, 08:20 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain

Okay, so the brightness of my HID's has been really bugging me. Compared to a few of my friends trucks (an 06 F-250, a 03 F-150, and a 2004 Excursion - even some 06+ Chevy's I see driving around) they aren't even close. And when I say not even close, I mean it's a joke how much brighter theirs are compared to mine..

I don't know if my truck battery isn't enough, the slim ballasts aren't enough, or what ever else it could be but I feel they should be MUCH brighter than they are right now. Maybe that's just how my headlights project them, I'm not sure.

If anyone could snap a few pics of a view of their's from inside their cab and outside the truck so I can compare a little bit that would be great.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:26 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Are you sure you dont just need to aim them down some?

These are my 6k's from this morning. I have both my heads (low beam) and fogs on

Old 03-16-2011, 05:00 PM
05Redram
Professional

i dont think its a bad wire because it only does it when im stopped. if i turn my ac on they turn off and then back on, or if my windows are up and i hit the window up button on two windows. it seems like if there is any change in voltage the turn off

Plus they only work if the truck is running. if it is off then they just blink

Old 03-16-2011, 05:13 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

What resistors are you running? Where did you get the kit?

Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Are you sure you dont just need to aim them down some?

These are my 6k's from this morning. I have both my heads (low beam) and fogs on

I've moved them all over the place to see if it was just their angle but that's not the issue. I guess that's just how these headlights project the light from them..

Quick Reply: Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...