3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

replace blend/mode1/mode2 AC doors with OEM or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:29 PM
shortyR6
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replace blend/mode1/mode2 AC doors with OEM or aftermarket?

it looks like the used truck i purchased has three doors that are bad. the blend door top and bottom, mode 1 door, and mode 2 door.

i am going to have the A/C evacuated and pull the whole unit out to repair all the components properly.

i have seen the heater treater website, but for all the doors its $230.

Has dodge come out with fixes that will not break again, or are the updated parts still not as good as the ones that keep breaking?

thoughts, advice?

Old 01-31-2011, 08:20 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

From what I have read they replace them with the same ones that eventually break.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:32 AM
shortyR6
Professional

so to me it sounds like i should just come out the $230 for all the heater treater doors. if i am going to pull the whole dash out i mind as well replace it with parts i know are not going to break again.

has anyone had problems or complaints about their heater treater parts?

Old 02-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Matt99
Champion

never heard of em.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:16 AM
abarmby
Champion

I posted up a link to the Heater treater site, a good few months ago shortyR6, in answer to another members similar HVAC problems.
From what I looked at and watched on their web site in the video section, it all looked pretty good.
Especially as the parts they supply are apparantly upgrades to the stock bits and pieces which you know, will eventually fail again.
You can only give them a try.
Plus, the video's are real good to use and follow. As they say....a picture speaks a thousand words and they really seem to make referancing and replacing this stuff easier.
I personally would give them a try and I live here in the UK and would still give them a chance.
The Dodge stuff is just too flimsy and proven to fail IMHO and they (Dodge) know of this problem and seemingly havent produced upgrades yet??
A good little earner isn't it lol.
Al.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:20 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought the 4 door option from heater treater. The doors are rock solid! I am very impressed. I just replaced the recirc door only though. Still coming to grips of cutting my hvac system up. I may just like you (ShortyR6) pull the dash when the need or time arises? Seems to have very good instructions, so very doable. Dodge does have an update on the recirc door. They want to sell you the complete box assembly and it includes a new motor. I was shocked on the price $60.00 or $70.00 in Canada. I thought pretty cheap for dealer part. It still is plastic to so no gaurantee on that breaking as well and the dash has to be removed to install it.
ShortyR6 if your considering pulling your dash.I don't see you going wrong with the heater treater doors. Just replace them all and be done with it.
Good Luck.

Last edited by big guy; 02-01-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:04 AM
shortyR6
Professional

i pulled the trigger yesterday on the doors. it was $239 for all the doors.

i have both blend doors that the pin rotates 360 degrees, as well as the mode 1 and 2 door have the same issue.

heater treater emailed and said they would send the bottom blend door free of charge since i needed it.

i have the lower dash out already to inspect, so i will just begin the process of removing the rest of the dash, evac the system, and pull the box.

i dont mind cutting into the box, but since i have to replace ALL the doors, it just makes sense to just take a few extra steps to make sure the project is done right and not have to do it again.

there are several threads from many forums that will serve as a baseline for removing everything.

I will update on how it all goes.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:21 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you dont mind, try to take pics of everything as you go. We LOVE pics.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:58 PM
shortyR6
Professional

ok, i got all the dash pulled back, and it started raining.

i have to evac the A/C, remove a couple more bolts and the HVAC system will come out.

I have all the doors from heater treater and will replace all of them. Heater treater sent a second blend door out free of charge sense both of mine are broke.

i should have it all out tomorrow, and starting to go back in by Wednesday if the weather holds up.

this is not very hard, just time consuming taking all the bolts out........and damn there are a lot of bolts.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:19 PM
naro
Amateur

I just took out the box today too, except my problem is cold air on driver side and hot on the passenger. I was told that it was the blend doors, but they all work. So I don't know what to do. Anyways hope you get it fixed. And like weedahoe said WE LOVE PICS.

Quick Reply: replace blend/mode1/mode2 AC doors with OEM or aftermarket?