3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Diagnostic Guide
Print Wikipost

Transmission Fluid Change help

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011 | 02:03 AM
USMC-Mortar-Man
|
Default Transmission Fluid Change help

Hello Everybody I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7l Hemi Automatic 2X4 I wanted help on chaing the tranny fluid. I know you have to drop the pan and change the filter But i want to know what else i have to do. Thank you guys
Sgt. Quinonez

Old 07-05-2011 | 02:30 AM
dragon_32

All depends on what you want to do. Not to answer your question with a question but are you just doing a normal change or are you trying to get all the fluid out of the trans to do a synthetic swap? It's pretty easy to do just a normal change and from what I see on hear swapping over to a synthetic is just price but still as easy. You can download a service manual that will walk you through it, or even youtube it.

Old 07-05-2011 | 02:35 AM
USMC-Mortar-Man
|
Default dragon

I was reading and they say if you dont get rid of all of the fluid then its bad, is that true? I would like to do a full fluid change and change it to synthetic

Old 07-05-2011 | 02:43 AM
dragon_32

That's true depending on how many miles you have on the fluid. If you do it as stated at 30k, then you should only have to replace what comes out with the pan. I know there are other threads on hear about doing the full synthetic swap. It's about $200 to do and just need one special tool. Are you on the west coast or stuck on nights???

Old 07-05-2011 | 02:52 AM
USMC-Mortar-Man
|

I am west coast. I wanted to replace all the filters and of course I am going to have to replace the gasket. I just got out of the Marine Corps and I have 74k on my truck I actually bought my truck of a guy who was dying of long cancer so he sold me the truck for 6,000 dollars which is a great deal. I was going to change the spark plugs. But I am going to move to oregon soon and was going to haul a trailer with my stuff from home in it. So I wanted to change my tranny fluid. I looked on youtube and it was a basic change just dropping the pan. Where can i find out where to do a complete tranny fluid change. Thank you for being so helpful

Old 07-05-2011 | 02:58 AM
dragon_32

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ion-fluid.html NP. I'm still in the Army so I know all about the moving. This thread gives a description of doing the swap. Again its really not that hard, just messy.

Old 07-05-2011 | 03:03 AM
USMC-Mortar-Man
|

I dont think the guy i bought it from replaced the tranny fluid if I dont use synthetic do i have to do all of this or just replace the filter and the tranny fluid in the pan?

Old 07-05-2011 | 03:09 AM
dragon_32

You don't have to switch to a synthetic, just make sure you use the ATF +4 trans fluid. If you think about it, the truck is an 04 with 75k miles on it. So that fluid has been in there for not just 74K miles but also 8 years. You don't have to flush but it really wouldn't be a bad idea to do. I just did mine for the same reason. an 03 with 26K miles. Not the miles that worried me, but the age of the fluid.

Old 07-05-2011 | 03:11 AM
scwpd
Veteran

do your self a favor and do a search and look at all the people having problems after having a trans flush my self included. some people think it is due to faulty filters.

Old 07-05-2011 | 03:11 AM
USMC-Mortar-Man
|

Indeed indeed lol. So Dropping the pan gets rid of 50 percent of the oil. Where is the tranmission line located that i disconnect to get the rest of the oil out. Could you explain to me. I am new to the dodge world lol

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change help