3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

overload spring...what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:50 AM
w1ck3tt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overload spring...what is it?

I've read all I can find regarding the overload spring, but still haven't seen anything stating exactly what it is. I need to order my 5th wheel install kit, and they have kits that will not work with overload springs.

Looking at my truck, I have 3 leaf springs, and a 4th much larger spring under the 3, I'm assuming thats the overload spring??? Thanks!

Old 07-05-2011, 10:58 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Not IMO.

An "Ovler-Load Spring" is a general term used to describe an AFTERMARKET helper spring setup. Air bags are also commonly referred to as "overload springs" even though they are not springs at all.

In your case, I'm almost sure they are not referring to anything that came stock on the truck but rather any after-market helper type system...

Old 07-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Geezir
Veteran

Do you have a half ton or 3/4 ton?

Old 07-05-2011, 11:16 PM
w1ck3tt
Rookie

Originally Posted by Geezir
Do you have a half ton or 3/4 ton?
3/4 ton, it's 2500 heavy duty big horn.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Geezir
Veteran

Then it's possible you have overload springs.

Overload springs are an additional leaf spring in the leaf stack. They look like they have a different arc than the rest of the springs because the ends of the spring aren't touching the rest of the stack. They will only touch the stack and come into play with a load on the truck (hence the term overload springs).

I know my bosses 3500 has them but I'm not 100% positive that the 2500's came with them. I don't have my truck right now so I can't go take a look and see if I have them.

Theres an idea of what it will look like.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:59 AM
w1ck3tt
Rookie

Originally Posted by Geezir
Then it's possible you have overload springs.

Overload springs are an additional leaf spring in the leaf stack. They look like they have a different arc than the rest of the springs because the ends of the spring aren't touching the rest of the stack. They will only touch the stack and come into play with a load on the truck (hence the term overload springs).

I know my bosses 3500 has them but I'm not 100% positive that the 2500's came with them. I don't have my truck right now so I can't go take a look and see if I have them.

Theres an idea of what it will look like.

Interesting, I don't think I have them then if thats what they look like. My springs are 3 that arch with each other, and a 4th on the bottom that is flat, does'nt touch the other springs but in the center where they are all attached to the axle, and it looks like under load, the 3 will flatten out on the fatter flat spring... I don't have the spring on top that arch's up like the one in the photo.... I will have to double check to make certain, but I drove my gas sipper today since my wife is off... (jetta gets 32 mpg, ram gets maybe 15....)

Old 07-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Geezir
Veteran

Overload springs aren't always on the top....that's just an example pic.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:06 AM
bgbluram2
All Star

If you have just three leafs with one fat (about 1") flat spring on the bottom, then you have a standard set of leafs without any aftermarket "overload" like Hammer stated. The big fat spring on the bottom is also commonly referred to on the forums as an overload spring, but like Hammer stated, I don't think they are referring to that flat spring, they are likely referring to any aftermarket helper springs "overloads."

Old 07-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Geezir
Veteran

That would make perfect sense referring to aftermarket "springs". Can't see an additional leaf in the stack in any way affecting 5th wheel hitch

Quick Reply: overload spring...what is it?