3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rust rust and more rust

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Toefur
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust rust and more rust

Ive had my truck 3 years. Before I purchased it the truck spent 4 years in Michigan. When I 1st got it it didnt have a spot of rust on it. Now I have both rear fender wells rusting, rust along the bottom of the drivers side door and now this (see pic). I havent had a need to to check the brakes since Ive had it as I only put about 6000 miles a year on it (dealer told me they put new brakes on it when I bought it). Well, one of the pistons is now stuck in the drivers side caliper and wiped the inboard pad. The truck only has 60,000 miles on it and its an 05. I cant believe how rusted the banjo is and the brake line. This could have started leaking at any time. Both sides are equally as bad. Nobody, has the lines or the banjo bolts in stock and I cant seem to find what I need online. Anyone have and Idea as to where I can purchase these parts? I would need 2 banjo bolts and both driver and pass side brake lines.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  79.8 KB

Old 08-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Wow I'm in north Jersey, alot of salt... But mine were nowhere near as bad. Try rockauto.com

Old 08-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

I know they have the lines, can't seem to find the bolts.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:09 PM
austinbest
Amateur
Old 08-27-2012, 09:18 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Once you complete your repairs buy a couple cans of Fluid Film and spray every metal fitting /bolt/ line you can find. If you do that every year I guarantee you will not have rust like that. While your at it. Get your truck completely oil sprayed. Also I find the rear brakes really take a salt **** kicking over the winter. So cleaning and re lube the sliders every spring on all four positions is a very good idea. At the same time pumping in a quart of fresh brake does not hurt either. That way your opening your bleeders every year. Fresh brake fluid should help prevent siezed calipers.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:46 PM
vinman966
Professional

I'm in Ohio and my undercarriage looks a hell of a lot better than that.
Maybe it's because I wash it a lot in the winter or something.
I do have a '92 Buick that the brake lines look similar to those. I spray those with WD or penetrating oil to make sure they don't get worse.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:31 PM
austinbest
Amateur

Rust, dirt, stuck bolts.. Personal preference is PB Blaster anymore. Beats the rest hands down in my experience, give it a shot

Old 08-28-2012, 06:41 AM
loflyer2
Professional

You can freeze the rust by applying zinc phosphate. Then topcoat with a paint for metal. If you replace with new lines be sure to coat them with Sharkhide or corrosionx. Also take a look at a product called saltx for spraying undercarriage after driving in corrosive environment.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Toefur
Professional

Thanks for the help everyone. Ive found everything I need to fix this. Im doing new calipers, pads, rotors and hoses. I did however need to hit the stealership for the Banjo bolts. They are 5$ each and need to be ordered. Next is measures to try and prevent more rust. Im going to look into the products some of you have recommended.

Quick Reply: Rust rust and more rust