3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel/Rim problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 09:09 AM
Mark Grove
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel/Rim problem

Anyone ever had this happen? 2008 Ram 1500, QC, 4wd, 20" factory rims with the chrome insert. This has happened twice in 6 months.

Old 12-04-2020, 04:05 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow. Never seen that happen before. Corrosion? Are the tires the proper size for the rims...width wise?

Old 12-05-2020, 09:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Was it the same pothole?

Old 12-07-2020, 04:26 PM
Mark Grove

Originally Posted by TrueDogman
Wow. Never seen that happen before. Corrosion? Are the tires the proper size for the rims...width wise?
Proper sized tires. Factory rims. 2nd time in 6 months, just pulled off the highway and it exploded. No potholes were involved in this incident.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mark Grove
Proper sized tires. Factory rims. 2nd time in 6 months, just pulled off the highway and it exploded. No potholes were involved in this incident.
Now that is just bizarre..... Tires inflated to proper pressure? Though, if they were over-inflated, I would expect the TIRE to fail, before the rim did.......

This is the first time I have seen/heard anything about this, so, apparently, it isn't a 'common' problem, else the forums would have oodles of threads about it..... Does the break show any evidence of a pre-existing crack? Can you get a close-up of the area on the wheel where it broke off from??

Old 12-08-2020, 09:00 AM
Mark Grove

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Now that is just bizarre..... Tires inflated to proper pressure? Though, if they were over-inflated, I would expect the TIRE to fail, before the rim did.......

This is the first time I have seen/heard anything about this, so, apparently, it isn't a 'common' problem, else the forums would have oodles of threads about it..... Does the break show any evidence of a pre-existing crack? Can you get a close-up of the area on the wheel where it broke off from??

I run 36 psi. I am going to my local Dodge dealer on Friday. I run Cooper AT3 4S tires and love them! I am also going to shoot an e-mail to Cooper.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't really see any evidence of a pre-existing crack there...... did the damage to the trim ring happen when it blew?

Old 12-08-2020, 11:01 AM
Mark Grove

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I don't really see any evidence of a pre-existing crack there...... did the damage to the trim ring happen when it blew?
Yes. The broken piece flew about 15 feet.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:22 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From pictures it's difficult to determine for sure. IMO, The dark and lighter areas of the part that flew off sure indicate a pre-existing condition to me. The 4th picture in post #6, on the right side, the edge of the break above the lighter area is dark. This can indicate some age to a defect. The left side which is darker than the right also appears to indicate some age.
Also, picture 2 of the same post appears to have an open surface crack or void on the right, just above the ring. Possibly from hitting the pavement? Then too, it could be a pattern of rubber transfer from the tire.
Generally a surface crack in material doesn't reflect light to well where as a scratch or nick will tend to.

Quick Reply: Wheel/Rim problem