3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Constant Pump Cutoff When Fueling

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 11:02 PM
metaldave
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Constant Pump Cutoff When Fueling

Hi, all.

I just picked up a used 2005 Ram 2500 XLT 5.7 Hemi 4x4, and I am unable to fuel the truck. The pump will run for a second and stop, and this is constant.

I'm familiar with TSB 14-001-09 REV. A, and I am stuck at Step 11 in the troubleshooting. This reads:

Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank
I have both the Evaporative Emissions and Fuel System service manuals for the 2005, and I cannot identify or locate the tube they're referring to as "the control valve to EVAP canister tube." Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance,

- Dave

Old 06-01-2021, 12:30 PM
metaldave

There aren’t many components to the fuel system, so I thought I’d start with identifying the items in the diagram from the Service Manual:

2005 Ram 2500 5.7L Hemi Fuel System

In trying to identify the components, I came up with the following list while studying the Service Manuals:
  1. Combination Fuel Filter and Fuel Pressure Regulator (integrated with Fuel Pump Assembly)
  2. Quick-Connect Fitting and Fuel Line (to Engine)
  3. Check Valve
  4. Leak Detection Pump (LDP)
  5. EVAP Canisters (2; Vertical)
  6. Fuel Pump Module Assembly / Fuel Pump Module Lock Ring
  7. Check Valve; Fuel Level Sending Unit (Fuel Level Sensor) and Float Assembly

Please correct me if I’m wrong on any of the above and help fill-in the blanks.

In exploring my undercarriage to identify the components in the diagram, I noticed the following cylinder with three hoses connected. In the below photo, this cylinder is located right next to the fuel pump assembly (the white dome next to it). You can see it depicted on the fuel system diagram, but it is not identified or called out with a number.

Fuel Pump and Mystery Cylinder

Can someone identify this component, it’s function, and what it connects to? Is this my missing link to the original inquiry?

My guess is these are part of the vapor system. I traced the hoses connected to this unit. One hose appears to go to the rear check valve (7), and one goes to the front check valve (3). The third was a little more difficult to trace with the tank installed, but it appears to run to the top of the EVAP canister.

Top of EVAP canister assembly.

This seems to connect to a stub next to the hose jumper on the canister (as show in the photo above). The connection is a ‘tee’ that appears to continue the run forward toward the engine.

is this the hose segment I’m supposed to disconnect in step 11 of the TSB I cited in my original post?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by metaldave; 06-03-2021 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Updated components list.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:18 PM
metaldave

I've continued to explore the 'net in search of more information, and I was able to come upon a diagram of unknown origin. I'm hoping to find out where it came from, but I wanted to share this with the community:

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.7L Hemi Fuel Delivery Components

Again, I'm hoping to find out where this diagram originated, but I can tell you it's not in chapter 14 (Fuel System) or 25 (Emissions Control) of the Service Manual (at least the copy I have on hand). It matches my vehicle's fuel system configuration exactly, and it has more descriptions of the components. This filled-in the blank on the "mystery item"; This is a Liquid Expansion Chamber.

The TSB for this issue cites this Liquid Expansion Chamber as a "control valve," and step 11 asks you to, "Disconnect the control valve to EVAP canister tube at the fuel tank." I believe that Item No. 6 on the diagram shows this point of disconnection. I'm going to test this hypothesis and I'll report back on my progress. If this is successful in allowing for fueling the tank, the TSB goes on to instruct to reconnect this connection and try disconnecting the same line (what it calls the "EVAP canister tube") at the canister and test again. With that test, there are user serviceable parts to replace in a simple fashion (the EVAP canister or the EVAP canister tube), so this would be the best case scenario. However, a continued failure after disconnecting Item No. 6 in the earlier Step 11 of the TSB will require a complete replacement of the tank, and I am really hoping this is not the case.

As I cannot find a Liquid Expansion Chamber in the aftermarket, I'm guessing this is not a serviceable part. Hence, the TSB instructs you to replace the tank entirely if you find a failure in this component during troubleshooting. If anyone has experience finding and replacing the Liquid Expansion Chamber, please let me know.

Thanks again for viewing, and I'll follow-up soon!

Old 06-03-2021, 05:10 PM
metaldave

A quick follow-up: I disconnected the EVAP tube at the fuel tank side, and I attempted to fuel up. The issue persisted and the pump clicked off quickly after start. Per the TSB, this would indicate a Fuel Tank Replacement is required. Needless to say, I'm disappointed about this, and I would appreciate if anyone had any suggestions for further diagnosis or repair.

Otherwise, I have to source a fuel tank and, as I understand, these have been discontinued by Mopar. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to look? Pick-a-part?

Thanks again.

Old 06-03-2021, 05:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Try car-part.com. They can search in any size area you care to.

The following users liked this post:
metaldave (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 06:40 PM
aleekat
Veteran
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I did some searching. If it was my truck I would try these 2 things before replacing the tank.

1. My 2005 Ram 2500 4x4 was doing the same thing since I bought it 6 months ago. Takes 30 mins to fill...feathering the nozzle or it kicks back. After many attempted repairs I can tell you its not the emission stuff...its not the vent...its not the metal filler tube ....its not the roll over valve.....its not the tank. The problem is the rubber hose connecting the metal filler tube to the tank. Although its looks normal from the outside....the hose is molded with an outer layer...then a reinforcement membrane ...then an inner layer. When I removed this hose( for the fourth time) and looked inside...the inner rubber layer had deformed/delaminated/swelled up and was choking off the fuel entry. It looked fine on the outside but looking inside about 6 " in on one side it was 80 % blocked. The rubber in the original hose obviously is reacting negatively to the gas .....not good. I replaced the hose with some HD industrial gas resistant hose from a farm supply store and problem solved.

metaldave (06-04-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 01:09 AM
metaldave

Originally Posted by aleekat
The problem is the rubber hose connecting the metal filler tube to the tank. Although its looks normal from the outside....the hose is molded with an outer layer...then a reinforcement membrane ...then an inner layer. When I removed this hose( for the fourth time) and looked inside...the inner rubber layer had deformed/delaminated/swelled up and was choking off the fuel entry.
Credit to you, aleekat. Upon closer inspection, the filler hose is, indeed, warped on the interior. Just as you experienced, the inner layer of the hose appears swollen, bubbled, or delaminated into the tube.

Tank side of the Fuel Filler Hose

Filler Tube side of the Fuel Filler Hose

Looking at the hose from the outside, you wouldn’t notice any issues (it looks normal). I hope this is the “smoking gun” on this issue. Now, I need to find a replacement.

I replaced the hose with some HD industrial gas resistant hose from a farm supply store and problem solved.
Well, I can tell you that O’Reilly and Autozone don’t carry fuel hose. I’d appreciate suggestions on where to source fuel hose (farm supply store aside). I am not sure if this is something I can purchase from the dealer or another source, but I’d like to stay OEM.

Also, I’m going to replace both the fuel vent hose and the filler hose for piece of mind. The labor is about the same, so I’ll try to be proactive with this one.

Last edited by metaldave; 06-08-2021 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Added photos.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:11 AM
aleekat
Veteran

Originally Posted by metaldave
Credit to you, aleekat. Upon closer inspection, the filler hose is, indeed, warped on the interior. Just as you experienced, the inner layer of the hose appears swollen, bubbled, or delaminated into the tube.

I hope this is the “smoking gun” on this issue. Now, I need to find a replacement.

Well, I can tell you that O’Reilly and Autozone don’t carry fuel hose. I’d appreciate suggestions on where to source fuel hose (farm supply store aside). I am not sure if this is something I can purchase from the dealer or another source, but I’d like to stay OEM.

Also, I’m going to replace both the fuel vent hose and the filler hose for piece of mind. The labor is about the same, so I’ll try to be proactive with this one.
After some searching, looks like Mopar discontinued. But found on RockAuto and Ebay. RockAuto shows Part Spectra Premium FNH219 is the only one they have. You'll just have to confirm the part number here FNH219 Rockauto Ebay

Last edited by aleekat; 06-07-2021 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:52 PM
metaldave

After some searching, looks like Mopar discontinued. But found on RockAuto and Ebay. RockAuto shows Part Spectra Premium FNH219 is the only one they have. You'll just have to confirm the part number here FNH219 Rockauto Ebay
Thank you for finding that part number from Spectra. That allowed me to hunt a little more efficiently, and, as luck would have it, I was able to order the FNH219 through O'reilly Auto Parts. However, I could not order it in the store as it showed in their system as a "special order" (which, to them, means "dealer only"). Since it was listed on their online store for delivery to the physical store, I gave that a shot and, 48 hours later, it was in my hands.

Incidentally, I spoke with my local Dodge parts department, and that item has been discontinued along with the fuel tank. Aftermarket is the only solution here.

Finally, I'm happy to report that I was able to fill the truck for the first time last night. The warped filler hose was, indeed, the culprit. I have avoided a time-consuming and, likely, costly replacement of the fuel tank (for no good reason), and I would not have been able to do this without the community help here. Thank you very much to everyone and, in particular, aleekat for the great tips.

CdB1964 (08-26-2022)
Old 06-10-2021, 08:31 PM
aleekat
Veteran

Originally Posted by metaldave
Thank you for finding that part number from Spectra. That allowed me to hunt a little more efficiently, and, as luck would have it, I was able to order the FNH219 through O'reilly Auto Parts. However, I could not order it in the store as it showed in their system as a "special order" (which, to them, means "dealer only"). Since it was listed on their online store for delivery to the physical store, I gave that a shot and, 48 hours later, it was in my hands.

Incidentally, I spoke with my local Dodge parts department, and that item has been discontinued along with the fuel tank. Aftermarket is the only solution here.

Finally, I'm happy to report that I was able to fill the truck for the first time last night. The warped filler hose was, indeed, the culprit. I have avoided a time-consuming and, likely, costly replacement of the fuel tank (for no good reason), and I would not have been able to do this without the community help here. Thank you very much to everyone and, in particular, aleekat for the great tips.
Great News. Thanks for the Post Back. Maybe this thread will help others.

Quick Reply: Constant Pump Cutoff When Fueling