3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Compression Test + Pictures. What to do now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 06:54 PM
Tyler Oplasage
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Compression Test + Pictures. What to do now?

Hey guys, I recently did an oil change and I am almost certain that the oil was milky/creamy, and to my knowledge that would be coolant. I didn't save any of the oil to put into a jar although I will do that soon just to confirm. I also recently did a thermostat so I am unsure if i can connect the 400 ML of coolant that I had to add after the thermostat replacement to what was in my oil or if it was an error in my bleeding of the system. Anyway, I decided to do a compression test and use a scope to look into each cylinder to see if it was a potential head gasket. I did a normal compression test for all cylinders and a wet compression test for the cylinders that seemed to be off. This took longer than I thought so I would say the motor was cold when doing this. My truck has 225,000 KM and seems to perform well.
Compression numbers:
1: Dry 140
2: Dry 135
3: Dry 100 : Wet 140
4: Dry 145
5: Dry 70 : Wet 70
6: Dry 140
7: Dry 135
8 : Dry 150
I have attached a picture of the cylinders (Pictures taken before compression testing. Since cylinder 3&5 are next to each other could this be a head gasket? But if so why would the wet test help #3 because wouldn't that mean rings?
What is my next move?
Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:06 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

You could do a leak-down test to help you isolate source. Follow the hissing and also listen through oil filler cap.
I'd evaluate your results as either: failed head gasket, cracked block, cracked head, or combo of any or all of these. Have you had an overtemp recently?
I would take the head off of the 1/3/5/7 side and see if you can find a break in the head gasket, or a crack somewhere.
Get a machinist ruler and check block and head for flatness. If problem is failed head gasket, the new head gasket will leak if block and head are not flat.
Let me know if you are going to check for flatness and I'll look up the specs.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:18 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Rent or buy one of these block testers.
Amazon Amazon

They sniff your coolant for exhaust gases and the liquid turns green/yellow if present. Lots of videos on the web on how to use. They are a very reliable way of telling if your HG is blown. Drain a bit of coolant from the rad before using, so you don't suck coolant into the tube.

Old 12-05-2021, 10:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Cylinder 5 has serious issues. That likely is not a head gasket. Probably burnt/stuck/cracked valves, or seats.

Cylinder 3 has bad rings.

It's rebuild time.

Old 12-05-2021, 11:46 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree. #5 is scr3wed. Time to either run it as long as it'll go, or rebuild. Rebuild is the best option, but I know how finances can be.

Old 12-05-2021, 11:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Originally Posted by kejobe
I agree. #5 is scr3wed. Time to either run it as long as it'll go, or rebuild. Rebuild is the best option, but I know how finances can be.
Swapping in a junkyard motor may not be a bad plan either. Likely cheaper, if you can get a decent motor that lasts a while.

Old 12-05-2021, 07:41 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Swapping in a junkyard motor may not be a bad plan either. Likely cheaper, if you can get a decent motor that lasts a while.
$383 for a JY engine here, no brainer. 5.7's are everywhere

Old 12-15-2021, 11:13 PM
Tyler Oplasage
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not the news I wanted to hear but oh well. I think Im going to pull the heads and take them to a shop to maybe get cleaned up and valves re-seated? Any ideas on what this should cost me and how long it would take me to pull the heads off?
How long does my motor have do you guys think?

Quick Reply: Compression Test + Pictures. What to do now?