3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Jack slipped on front now rear wheels lock when wheel is turned?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 09:50 PM
Thatctuy
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jack slipped on front now rear wheels lock when wheel is turned?

2005 Ram 1500 5.7 4x4

Well long story short I was rushing and being careless while I was changing the front p/s tire in the yard, the jack slipped from the frame and down went the front. Half a second later the p/s rear bed dropped/shifted. I thought maybe the strut blew. Anyway, I used another jack to raise it from the control arm, put on the tire, and called it a day. I took it for a test drive after changing the rest of the tires and I noticed the rear wheels start skipping/ locking up whenever the steering wheel is turned. When it's driving straight it's fine, but as soon as I start turning the steering wheel to make a turn the rear wheels start skipping/locking up. It happens going forward and in reverse when the steering wheel is turned to the right or left. Anyone have any ideas of where I should start looking to see what I messed up? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Idk if it's related but also saw the bed isn't sitting right on the p/s.

Last edited by Thatctuy; 03-10-2023 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Why is it sitting so low?

Does your truck have the limited slip rear?? Checked the fluid level lately?

Old 03-10-2023, 10:34 PM
Thatctuy
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Why is it sitting so low?

Does your truck have the limited slip rear?? Checked the fluid level lately?
Why is what sitting so low?

I removed the plug and a little trickled out; smelled fine.

Also, unrelated but since I got the truck a few weeks ago I noticed the shifter is loose and nothing illuminates on the dash when it feels like I'm shifting into gears. I took a look today and noticed this. 🤯

​​​

Last edited by Thatctuy; 03-10-2023 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 03:07 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

You have literally no suspension travel on the rear of that vehicle.

It's a 4x4... you don't happen to have it actually engaged do you? That'll cause hopping skipping when you turn with good traction.

Old 03-11-2023, 03:57 AM
Thatctuy
Amateur

Originally Posted by Prismatic
You have literally no suspension travel on the rear of that vehicle.

It's a 4x4... you don't happen to have it actually engaged do you? That'll cause hopping skipping when you turn with good traction.
I thought it looked kinda low. I was looking into ways to make it higher.. Could it be bad leaf springs?

After doing some research I'm thinking the 4x4 is engaged and the light isn't illuminated on the dash b/c the sensor is bad. I ordered a new switch and a new transfer case lever to replace whatever jerry-rigged bent sheet metal lever it currently has.

Last edited by Thatctuy; 03-11-2023 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:11 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Looks like the previous owner removed some leafs from the spring. Shocks look fully collapsed under the weight.
We could tell you more if you can send some shots of your leaf springs and shackles.
I recommend you start addressing that rust.

Old 03-11-2023, 11:04 AM
Thatctuy
Amateur

Originally Posted by jrsick
Looks like the previous owner removed some leafs from the spring. Shocks look fully collapsed under the weight.
We could tell you more if you can send some shots of your leaf springs and shackles.
I recommend you start addressing that rust.
I'll get some more pics Monday when I do the switch+lever.

I agree 100% on the rust. I plan to take the bed off and tackle it this summer when the temp is higher. It is definitely going to be a project....Most likely Eastwood or por on the frame and surface shield on everything else after the rust is cleaned up... it won't see anymore of the toxic road salt in the northeast until then.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:06 PM
Thatctuy
Amateur

Well checked it out and it definitely has some missing leaves, like all of them....I found a good deal on some husky leaf springs+moog shackles. Will grab them this weekend. Any tips for removal/install? Will definitely have to clean up the bracket prior to install also. I'm assuming I should look into rear struts too. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Thatctuy; 03-13-2023 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2023, 06:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I'm thinkin' getting those bolts out is gonna be fun..... I would start soaking them with something like PB Blaster NOW. Hit 'em every couple days for at least two weeks before you try and take them out. Either that, or simply cut them out, and call it a day.

Old 03-13-2023, 11:44 PM
Thatctuy
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I'm thinkin' getting those bolts out is gonna be fun..... I would start soaking them with something like PB Blaster NOW. Hit 'em every couple days for at least two weeks before you try and take them out. Either that, or simply cut them out, and call it a day.
​​​​​​100%. They will definitely be cut out if I can't get them. Is it me or is does it not look safe to be driving until the leaf springs are addressed?

Quick Reply: Jack slipped on front now rear wheels lock when wheel is turned?