3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pegged temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 12:22 PM
Billsram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pegged temp gauge

Hey folks I have an 04 quad cab 4.7 I've been unable to trace down the issue causing the temp gauge to peg when the key is turned on . Temp unit replaced twice wire has no bad Spots.wires show the 5v going to the unit with almost nothing coming back when cold and a steady rise as motor warms up.ive been looking at getting a used gauge cluster but have read That's out because it would need to be programmed any ideals on how to replace just the temp gauge I believe it's causing the pcm to retard the timing causing a lack of power motor is new less than 1000 miles does anyone know if this pcm does retard timing based on temp .thanks for any help.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:06 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts

The cluster is all one board so replacing just the gauge wouldn't be an option. If you determine the gauge is faulty a speedometer repair shop might be cable to repair the gauge. If you had access to or purchased a used unit it could be plugged in to verify it fixes the issue. You could get some type of OBD gauge unit like a scan gauge and plug into the port and see what temp the PCM is broadcasting and if it looks correct I would again default back to the gauge being faulty, but unless you have use for it a scan gauge is $150 + also so not a simple cheap option either. I love mine though keep it on the shelf and anytime I suspect issues or want to see more what's going on behind the scenes I just plug it in

Old 05-11-2023, 05:36 AM
Billsram

I picked up a used dash plugged it in and nothing on the truck would come on wouldn't turn over nothing I noticed the plugs on back grey one and white one were switched placed from my original plugs were the same just changed sides any one know why the dashes were different?came out of same year and model

Old 05-11-2023, 08:24 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts

LOL....there is software in the cluster. Various functions are also routed through the cluster. The software is programmed to the truck build. You can't just plug **** in ***** nilly and hope for the best lol.

Old 05-11-2023, 09:59 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Billsram
I picked up a used dash plugged it in and nothing on the truck would come on wouldn't turn over nothing I noticed the plugs on back grey one and white one were switched placed from my original plugs were the same just changed sides any one know why the dashes were different?came out of same year and model
Well thats my mistake, I apologize, I didn't realize 04 had already started that much data communication integration

Old 05-11-2023, 04:42 PM
Billsram

well I didn't know about that so what am I to do ?the dealer said dodge no longer stocks or can get parts for any thing over 10 years old.dakota digital doesn't make anything for rams .so if I can't use a used dash then what,scrap the truck?I have no ideal where to go from here .is it really that hard to replace a temp gauge that the the truck is lost if it goes bad ?that's crazy .there must be a way to either repair,replace,or add a separate gauge that will work with all the other crap that is connected thru the dash does anyone know of a solution to this issue? I'm really needing some help on this I just put a brand new motor in the truck .way too much money invested in it to dump it over a bad temp gauge .thanks for the info on the dash, now I'm really in a world of hurt it's been down since January with no hope it sight.

Old 05-11-2023, 09:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Talk to dodge customer service. If there are any options, they would know.

When I worked at a chevy dealer (long ago, and far away....) we had to send clusters out for repair. But, even when they were more than 10 years old, we could still get 'em fixed.

Old 05-12-2023, 08:32 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Billsram
well I didn't know about that so what am I to do ?the dealer said dodge no longer stocks or can get parts for any thing over 10 years old.dakota digital doesn't make anything for rams .so if I can't use a used dash then what,scrap the truck?I have no ideal where to go from here .is it really that hard to replace a temp gauge that the the truck is lost if it goes bad ?that's crazy .there must be a way to either repair,replace,or add a separate gauge that will work with all the other crap that is connected thru the dash does anyone know of a solution to this issue? I'm really needing some help on this I just put a brand new motor in the truck .way too much money invested in it to dump it over a bad temp gauge .thanks for the info on the dash, now I'm really in a world of hurt it's been down since January with no hope it sight.
I don't think its that you can't use the cluster, its just that it needs to be programmed to the truck, I'm not sure what all is involved there. I would also reach out to some speedometer replaces, someone most definitely can repair the gauge, if it is indeed a faulty cluster I would imagine its the drive motor that went bad, seems dodge had a lot of that through the 3rd generation chassis, loose solder joints. I cant speak for quality but alot of ebay sellers advertise programmed ready unit, they might offer some advise on that also

Old 05-14-2023, 11:00 PM
Billsram

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
I don't think its that you can't use the cluster, its just that it needs to be programmed to the truck, I'm not sure what all is involved there. I would also reach out to some speedometer replaces, someone most definitely can repair the gauge, if it is indeed a faulty cluster I would imagine its the drive motor that went bad, seems dodge had a lot of that through the 3rd generation chassis, loose solder joints. I cant speak for quality but alot of ebay sellers advertise programmed ready unit, they might offer some advise on that also
Thank you so much for your reply I've contacted 2 different repair shops it's really quite expensive to have the cluster repaired over ,$500 at both places and I have to send in proof of millage and a copy of my title and driver's license then I'll get a form to fill out that needs a witness I told them I'm not trying to do anything to the speedo I need only the temp gauge repaired still have to do all the paper work.im not about to send all that info thru the mail to some shop in Jersey .and wait. 4to 6weeks for the dash to be returned sounds like a scam.

Quick Reply: Pegged temp gauge