3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cant't make my cruise control working - what to try next?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 11:48 AM
GrossmeisterB
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cant't make my cruise control working - what to try next?

Cheers everyone,

it is driving me a little bit crazy, my cruise control won't work as it should.

After switching the clock spring, I can switch it on and the dash will read "Cruise".
At about 25mph I can enable it and it works, but at about 40mph it will switch off itself - "Cruise" will disappear and it will not hold speed.

I changed:
Brake pedal switch
Rear differential speed sensor
Front left wheel bearing including wheel speed sensor

ABS light is off, so no obvious error(s)?

What else can I check and/or do to make it work?
I really need this for longer journeys to come.

Thank you!

Old 08-20-2023, 04:07 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is your Check Engine lit? What codes??

What is you year, make, model, engine and trim?

Old 08-20-2023, 04:28 PM
GrossmeisterB
Professional

Check engine light is off. No codes stored, at least none I know of. Is there anything else I can try apart from the OBD reader?

It is a 2004 RAM 1500 HEMI 4x4 Laramie with the AWD option (electric operated transfer case).
​​​​​​
Thanks for your help!

Old 08-20-2023, 04:44 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional

Disclaimer: I am only a RAM enthusiast for all of 7 weeks now.

I don't think the cruise is getting a speed signal from the ABS sensors, rather on my other Chrysler vehicle (ahem, minivan) it is the output speed sensor on the transmission.
Now I know on my 545rfe transmission on my RAM1500, both the front and rear speed sensors are identical.

If it were me on my truck, I would try to swap the two sensors. Single bolt (10mm wrench). pull straight out. lubricate the o-rings with a little Vaseline
and they are magnetic so you'll likely find some small metal pieces (normal wear, FOD) so simply pinch/wipe away from tip with a cotton rag. In fact. it may even be a particle on sensor tip is tricking your computer from blinking out...

Now a cruise fault may not set a MIL, so you may have a non illuminated code. MAYBE an autoparts scanner can see it or may need a higher professional quality code scanner like SnapOn or Autel

Please tell me how this works out and what you find.. Also, how you eventually get it working (even if you take it to a shop, what do they find...) How much did it cost on August 2023 dollars...

It is your final debriefing, your feedback, that makes these forum threads complete. Nothing worse that reading a book and only to find there is no conclusion -OR- someone tore the last page out of a library book... Arg!!!

Old 08-20-2023, 05:03 PM
GrossmeisterB
Professional

I replaced the gearbox output speed sensor already though. Just forgot to mention it, sorry.

But I now ordered a WiTech Micropod clone and will see if I can get the DRB III emulator to run.

Will keep you updated here for sure!

Old 08-20-2023, 05:19 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional

Originally Posted by GrossmeisterB

But I now ordered a WiTech Micropod clone and will see if I can get the DRB III emulator to run.

Will keep you updated here for sure!
See, now that right here is why I try to stay involved here... Perhaps I want one of these.

Now on my chryslerminivans.net forum, there was a guy in France that had limited access to Chrysler dealership but he had a need for DRBIII programming. That guy and his partner made his own, hacked his car computer, and then it was working pretty good so he offered it and lifetime upgrades for not much money.
I wonder if he now is WiTech?

YES, please let me (let us) know about your experience with this
Cheers!

Old 08-21-2023, 11:09 AM
GrossmeisterB
Professional

No, that WiTech is the "official" tool, the Chinese have just copied it. But I'm pretty confident do get it working on my laptop though.

Old 08-25-2023, 12:00 PM
Gilray
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FCW Not working

Hi Guys, I have a 2013 Dodge Durango Citadel 5.7 hemi engine with a dash warning up of FCW not working, took it in to shop to be told that I have to replace the front adaptive Cruise control module at $4800 CDN for part and then $400 for install.
I found a used one on E bay for $300 approx. supposedly all working, bought it and took it back to shop to install, they told me that there was already a VIN number in the unit that does not match my car so unit will not work, is this correct and is there a way to change the VIN number if this is so?

Old 08-25-2023, 12:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

I would think they would be able to update the VIN number in the module, if the scanner they use supports that feature. Might be a dealer thing though....

Old 08-25-2023, 02:10 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional

Originally Posted by Gilray
Hi Guys, I have a 2013 Dodge Durango Citadel 5.7 hemi engine with a dash warning up of FCW not working, took it in to shop to be told that I have to replace the front adaptive Cruise control module at $4800 CDN for part and then $400 for install.
I found a used one on E bay for $300 approx. supposedly all working, bought it and took it back to shop to install, they told me that there was already a VIN number in the unit that does not match my car so unit will not work, is this correct and is there a way to change the VIN number if this is so?
Adaptive CC module, is that gizmo that senses the distance to traffic ahead so you don't CC into the guy aheads' bumper. A little too modern for gen III Ram?

Available new online for a little less
https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/...4672787AA.html

OR MSRP $1400 $940
https://parts.chryslerjeepdodgecityo...4672626AC.html

check your p/n

A lot of times when a VIN is set, like in the antitheft security module it can be permanent BUT a new module is a blank slate and when you install it the VIN is then set.
I can see this true with something like a security anti theft system but not maybe with cruise control, other that it would deter a theif from stealing a $1400 part from behind your bumper as it is more valuable than a used catalytic converter .

Please return and let us know what you find out or end up doing/paying in late August 2023 dollars.
cheers

Quick Reply: Cant't make my cruise control working - what to try next?