3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re doesn’t accel in first gear, first gear disappeared

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 11:29 PM
Spooderboss2000
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46re doesn’t accel in first gear, first gear disappeared

So i have a 02 ram 5.9 46re and i took it out and when i drove it home it was perfect shifted good at wot and everything was doing 80 just fine, after i got home and parked it then went to get gas i went to floor it and it shifted into like 3rd as i was wot and i all sudden lost first gear even when i shift it into 1st manually it doesn’t grab, a couple weeks ago i did a transducer and governor replacement and keep in mind the truck drove like a dream with the borg warner solenoid i did lay on the throttle a lot as i was doing pulls with some friends

Old 09-29-2023, 11:33 PM
Spooderboss2000
Amateur

Originally Posted by Spooderboss2000
So i have a 02 ram 5.9 46re and i took it out and when i drove it home it was perfect shifted good at wot and everything was doing 80 just fine, after i got home and parked it then went to get gas i went to floor it and it shifted into like 3rd as i was wot and i all sudden lost first gear even when i shift it into 1st manually it doesn’t grab, a couple weeks ago i did a transducer and governor replacement and keep in mind the truck drove like a dream with the borg warner solenoid i did lay on the throttle a lot as i was doing pulls with some friends
forgot to add when i come to a complete stop the trans will like jump like if it’s trying to grab a gear or something

Old 09-30-2023, 08:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

When mine was doing that, replacing the electronics solved it. It tended to drop into neutral at stops, in drivethru lanes, etc, and pound HARD into gear when I gave it a bit of gas...... I also replaced the output speed sensor...

Old 09-30-2023, 11:04 AM
Spooderboss2000
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
When mine was doing that, replacing the electronics solved it. It tended to drop into neutral at stops, in drivethru lanes, etc, and pound HARD into gear when I gave it a bit of gas...... I also replaced the output speed sensor...
i replaced the governor and transducer, along with trans output speed sensor

Old 09-30-2023, 01:05 PM
Spooderboss2000
Amateur

Originally Posted by Spooderboss2000
i replaced the governor and transducer, along with trans output speed sensor
UPDATE: so i drove it today and still has the same issue BUT when i come to a stop it’ll jolt like it grabbed first but if i hit the throttle in drive it’ll go off in 2nd but if i shift to 1 and come to a complete stop it’ll sometimes actually grab first gear and drive off as it should still don’t know why it does that

Old 10-01-2023, 08:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Manual first, and auto first gear use different circuits in the valve body..... Why it is still misbehaving after replacing the electronics is a mystery to me.

Old 10-01-2023, 01:00 PM
Spooderboss2000
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Manual first, and auto first gear use different circuits in the valve body..... Why it is still misbehaving after replacing the electronics is a mystery to me.
i’m not sure, could it be an issue with loose bands? i was sitting at a turn waiting to do a i turn in drive and it jolted as i was stopped like it grabbed first out of no where and when i brake it jumps, i wonder if it’s an issue with the bands though, or the solenoid is stuck open couldn’t be tho cause it’s new and replaced, do u know any computer apps that could allow me to see transmission data logs?

Old 10-01-2023, 01:14 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Amazon Amazon

This clips between the transmission pressure transducer and the wiring harness and tricks the PCM into boosting the shifting pressure or something like that. Sonnax sells something similar too.

I don't know these transmissions, I am yet just a 90 day owner/custodian. I came across this while learning my new truck (I have a 5454RFE and recently saw this similar for 68RFE)

Perhaps it may help, but I do not ever recommend 'parts canon' troubleshooting, so I leave it up to you to read about it and decide if it may help.

Please let us know what you find and how you fix it, even if you bring it somewhere. Your report will help me, the community, and the next guy who is googling around for an answer...

Cheers!

Old 10-01-2023, 01:16 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional

PS, another post somewhere that the author used this (and it worked for him and his situation) and they said to make sure to secure the 'now longer and floppy' wiring harness so it doesn't melt short onto the exhaust... might have been a Jeep.

EDIT: Sorry, I see your transmission is different model...
I guess I got nothing to offer.

Good luck and let us know

Last edited by FabricGATOR; 10-01-2023 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-01-2023, 01:22 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional

Did you try to disconnect the battery and hold the battery wires together?
Resets the PCM?

Quick Reply: 46re doesn’t accel in first gear, first gear disappeared