3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny is screwed, I blame superchips.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007 | 08:31 PM
motorider228
|
Champion
Default Tranny is screwed, I blame superchips.

Well the first day I installed the superchips I was very pleased with the power and all that to say the least. I did notice under WOT shifting it made a real weird noise. I posted on here asking about it and everyone said "oh that's just the firmer shift" I just said ok and went on with it. Well lately it started slipping a little bit and the noise really got to me. I took it in under warranty today to get everything checked out. Well My truck has been there since 7:45 this morning and I just called at 2:00 and my service advisor said without even denying anything or beating around the bush said yes sir your transmission is having some issues and we will have to keep your truck for a few days to fix the issue. I have heard other bad stories over 06's with superchips such as it forcing it into other gears so I will only be using it as a scan tool for now on. I'm sorry to see the chip go but my truck working is mor eimportant than some 20 HP gain. I know superchips is tried and true with other years and I have seen no problems with those trucks but I hope you 06 and 07 guys really think about it before putting this in your truck. Here is a video of it shifting and if you listen right at the second it shifts you will hear a click or clank noise. Sorry for the quality, it's from a camera phone.
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...16_07_0015.flv

Old 02-19-2007 | 09:01 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Default RE: Tranny is screwed, I blame superchips.

It's a known fact that the transmissions that are used don't hold up well to extra power add to that the chip the other power adders you have not a real surprise to me that your tranny went. Plus you also said you run it pretty good so I really wouldn't blame superchips. soudns like a combination of things other than just the chip. Yea that's definately a clank or something in the video. Theres a difference between a firm shift and making noises. Stil don't think you should put the entire blame on superchips.
also listened to ur vid sounds to me like te clank comes a tad bit after the shift. when i'm hearing the weird noise the rpms are already dropping from the shift. truly i'm not a guru with auto trannies.

Old 02-19-2007 | 09:12 PM
motorider228
|
Champion

intake, superchips and a muffler is hardly extra power. I go WOT probably 4 times on a tank of fuel and that's about it and I always turned overdrive off before doing that. Superchips was my very first mod with no other power adders as well and the problem started the day I installed the chip. People can argue that it is to be caused by something else but the fact is the problem started the first time the prgrammer was put in my truck. I'll find out tomorrow what it is and it may be nothing to worry too much about and I'll let all you know but I'm just telling everyone about my situation and hoping to warn some of you guys before messing your trucks up if you don't have a warranty. I don't like seeing guys with broken trucks so i just wanted to give everyone a heads up. I know some will disagree but I do know that some will agree as some people hav ehad other problems with superchips.

Old 02-19-2007 | 09:27 PM
Ben D.
Champion

Wow so it started directly after installing the chip. Hmm i take back before about the combination. Tell the truth I have no idea what happened but that is mega gay. I hope everything comes out right and its something simple.

Old 02-19-2007 | 09:59 PM
motorider228
|
Champion

Yeah I hope that as well. Thank God for warrantys haha. I always thought that was just the way the tuner made it sound when it shifted since it only started when the tuner went in but I was incorrect. Haha looks like I have a superchips for sale if anyone is interested.

Old 02-19-2007 | 10:05 PM
Silver Eagle
Captain

You didn't tell them about the chip did you. ? The tranny just let go ,right. ?

Old 02-19-2007 | 10:21 PM
motorider228
|
Champion

ORIGINAL: Silver Eagle

You didn't tell them about the chip did you. ? The tranny just let go ,right. ?
They never asked, they just asked what the problem was and I told them and they said ok. They do not know about the programmer. There was some guy on here a few weeks ago whos tranny went BOOM in his V6 and he forgot to unprogram it had it towed in and they never said anything about it.

Old 02-19-2007 | 11:44 PM
Mystro
Captain

If the dealer finds out it has been chipped your factory warranty is void and you are on your own.

Old 02-19-2007 | 11:52 PM
motorider228
|
Champion

I understand that and the programmer will never be in my truck again.

Old 02-20-2007 | 01:24 AM
mazz
Veteran

If they so much as suspect there's been a tuner on it, and delve into the computer, you may not have to tell them.

Quick Reply: Tranny is screwed, I blame superchips.