4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

improving gas mileage 4G

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 12:52 PM
RamJay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with mileage?

In the 2013 Ram literature they mention wheel to wheel step bars help some. Heard a tonneau cover will help as well.Dont know if either is true though.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:21 PM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamJay
In the 2013 Ram literature they mention wheel to wheel step bars help some. Heard a tonneau cover will help as well.Dont know if either is true though.
It has been already proven that tonneau covers WONT get you any better mpg`s... neither will step bars

Old 03-26-2013, 04:01 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

CAI will lower your fuel economy drastically.

The roar sounds SOOO good you start gunning it every chance you get. Dropped my fuel economy down to 12.5 MPG. Took it off and went back to stock and its back up to 14.5

I think it was my changed behavior that did it, and it had nothing to do with the actual parts.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:04 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by Arachnyd
CAI will lower your fuel economy drastically.

The roar sounds SOOO good you start gunning it every chance you get. Dropped my fuel economy down to 12.5 MPG. Took it off and went back to stock and its back up to 14.5

I think it was my changed behavior that did it, and it had nothing to do with the actual parts.
AGREED...!!!!!!!
The stock OEM air box`s are tuned very well to these 4th gen trucks...!!!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:54 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You can squeeze out a tad better fuel economy with a CAI but not by itself. Think of it like the old "chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" adage. You'll benefit by the added surface area of a cone type filter BUT only if you port the throttle body to accept more airflow AND then you need to consider an intake manifold with runners that can make use of the extra air coming in. NOW you need to consider the natural backflow of exhaust into the cylinders at the exhaust manifold so you'd need headers to properly scavenge this air. Of course now you have to think about the cats, any restrictions in the exhaust such as pinched "Y" pipes and possibly the muffler.

My point is that it is possible to get a tad more MPG (and about 30 or so RWHP) by completely redoing the intake and exhaust BUT you'd better plan on owning your truck for about 30 years or so to make up the cost of the mods in fuel savings.

The only real modification I've seen that doesn't take a crazy long time to make up it's cost in fuel savings is going to an e-fan. They aren't terribly expensive and are quite easy to install without having to pay for labor. Of course, the benefits of an electric fan are seen most in town where you start/stop and accelerate from a stop or slow speeds often. An e-fan losses it's physical advantage over a clutch fan on the open road where engine RPMs minimize the parasitic loss a clutch fan causes at low RPM.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:15 PM
Rammdiculous
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i just bought a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab, 2WD, 4.7L, and i am looking into modding the truck, id like to try and pump out atleast 50 RWHP.
im still learning about the truck so i would highly appreciate any and every input possible!!
ive done some reading, and came to find out that theres not too man mods for the 4.7L

Also a questions that i had was if i could install a LSD?????

Old 06-30-2014, 11:51 AM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by Rammdiculous
So i just bought a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab, 2WD, 4.7L, and i am looking into modding the truck, id like to try and pump out atleast 50 RWHP.
im still learning about the truck so i would highly appreciate any and every input possible!!
ive done some reading, and came to find out that theres not too man mods for the 4.7L

Also a questions that i had was if i could install a LSD?????
Start a new thread asking this question. You will not get the answers you need about adding HP to a new truck in a thread that is based on how to improve MPG's.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:38 PM
bluebeast1562
Veteran

I truly believe that if ethanol is taken out of our fuel then we will get better HP and MPG's. Use corn to feed the people not our vehicles.

Quick Reply: improving gas mileage 4G