4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2009 Ram Laramie Mds/Mpg Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:22 PM
uawnick
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Ram Laramie Mds/Mpg Questions

Bought a 2009 Ram Laramie 4 Door Short Bed HEMI. Took a Long trip (about 100 miles or so each way) and only saw 15.5 MPG average. Is this common among trucks similarly equipped or should I schedule a visit to my service center?

Please Help!

Old 01-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Earthdog

What speed were you averaging?

Old 01-04-2009, 11:06 PM
nh5
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on your driving habits and also doesn't the break in period lower mileage?

Old 01-05-2009, 04:19 PM
jdcovert
Veteran

And if your truck has 3.92 gears thats probably about the best you'll get at 65-75mph. If have the 3.92s and the best I can get at 65mph is and avg of about 16.5.... at a steady 55mph I've got 19.6 before. And of course milage should improve a little as you break in the engine. And also... wind makes a big difference in your mpg

Old 01-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Secret Agent Man
Captain

I have an 09 Crew Cab Laramie 4x4 with the Hemi and 3.55 gears. Soon after I got it my mileage dropped significantly. I was getting 18 highway early on and it dropped to the low 14 range. I took it to the dealer to have them look at that along with the park assist, which the EVIC gave me an error message for earlier. The only fault that the truck had stored was a low voltage code. They replaced the battery, as it most likely had a bad cell. After this my mpg's shot back up.

As strange as it sounds, the only rational explanation I can come up with is that the alternator was working at full field trying to charge the battery which taxed the motor more than usual. This would not cause a 4 mpg drop though. Because the low voltage caused a fault with the rear park assist, it is reasonable to assume that perhaps more electrical systems were not functioning properly. The MDS may have been vulnerable to this. Who knows. I'm just happy that she is back to normal. It won't hurt to take it to the dealer to see if you have any fault codes. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:11 PM
jdcovert
Veteran

Originally Posted by Secret Agent Man
Because the low voltage caused a fault with the rear park assist, it is reasonable to assume that perhaps more electrical systems were not functioning properly.
The EVIC will also say to service the park assist if theres ice or snow of dust covering the sensors... happens to me all the time.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Secret Agent Man
Captain

Originally Posted by jdcovert
The EVIC will also say to service the park assist if theres ice or snow of dust covering the sensors... happens to me all the time.
Yep, that's what I figured the first time because there was ice on the back bumper. However, it gave me the 'service rear park assist' message two more times after that. Once when I was backing out of the driveway when I had washed it the day before (squeaky clean) and the other time while I was in Drive pulling out of my subdivision (park assist shouldn't have even been engaged at this point). After it happened while I was in Drive, I knew something was wrong. Hasn't happened since I got the truck back from the dealer (knock on wood).

Old 01-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Smoothbassman
Professional

I have seen this reduction in MPG before as well. I have gotten as good as 19MPG on some trips and others as low as 15MPG, all traveling around 65 MPH. If I get super low mileage again, I'm going to have to check into some fault codes.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:14 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Winter gas, not good for mpg
2. Truck needs to break in, at least 5000 miles until mpg gets better.
3. To get the EPA rated mpg, drive like grandma, But no one dose.
4. Its still a hemi in a big truck, lock out the OD in the city, mpg will be increase
5. MDS is not going to save you any thing, unless you drive your truck like a econo box.
6. Stay with mid grade.
7. Check air pressure, the cold under inflates tires.

AS a point of referance, my 06 2500 reg cab hemi 4x4 with a 6sp manual 373 ltslip pulls 22 mpg higway, 1800 Rpms 60 mph, I'n not getting any where near that now, Volant CAI Due ex are the only mods.

Keep the rpms below 2000 rpms before the automatic shifts, ie don't pin it, on the higway, set cruse at 2000 Rpm, MPG will get better once winter is over.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:18 PM
BIG V8
Default How to know if MDS its working ??

I have a 09 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie, I just did 5000 KM , I still haven got any proove that the MDS its working at all !!(not any display in the EVIC or anything ) .

Seams Im in Slovenia I can not check with the dealers because they dont sell Rams in Europe (i bought it in Germany from an Importer ) .

If any body can suggest anything Ill really appriciate it !!!!

Quick Reply: 2009 Ram Laramie Mds/Mpg Questions