4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which model Rams are available with the 4x4 auto feature?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 06:51 PM
AL68
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which model Rams are available with the 4x4 auto feature?

I was wondering which models are available with the 4x4 auto feature. I think it would be a nice feature to have for winter driving when driving on roads with fluctuating conditions. I know Laramie has it, but what about the sport and SLT big horn?

Old 01-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Jst

When I was shopping only the laramies' had an auto 4x4 feature. My sport doesnt have it.

What exactly do they do differently with the driveline from an auto 4x4 ram vs, a ram with only 4x4 high and low?

Old 01-23-2009, 01:23 AM
blue2050
Veteran

Auto 4WD...quote the manual "For variable driving conditions, the 4WD AUTO mode can be used. In this mode, the front axle is engaged, but the vehicles power is sent to the rear wheels. Four wheel drive will be automatically engaged when the vehicle senses a loss in traction"....to the rear wheels.

I have it but have not used it. Its a Larmie. When it warms I will see how it does pullling a 28' boat out of the ocean. If I keep it until spring.

Seems pointless to me. I know when I need 4 wheel drive. I can tell when the rear tires are spinning all by myself.
I had a Laramie so I wanted my new one to be a laramie...got a caddillac with a small bed. Lots of gadgets. Rather wish I had kept my old truck. Got towed for the last time; with my money; last month.

Last edited by blue2050; 01-23-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:58 AM
MisterScott
Rookie

It is on my Larmie and I only found the feature on Laramies. It is a different transfer case that the regular 4 wheel drive system. Blue2050, I feel like you do. What truck did you have that got towed. I had a megacab 2500 w/ the 6.7 L cummins. Tons of problems w/ the emissions. Went to the gasser with the 09 on a buyback because I was tired of making the trip to the dealer but I miss the old truck.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:56 PM
blue2050
Veteran

I had a 1998 Dodge Ram quad cab Laramie 2WD with a 318 Mr. Scott.
No where near the TRUCK you had.
It was a Larmie which made it about a nice as you could get in 1998 but it was still a truck.
First Dodge quad to have 4 doors. 97 had 3.
I had just finished making it look near showroom new again. As nice a 98 as any out there.

Mine developed electrical problems that no one could fix. One thing after another. Had it towed countless times. Replaced almost everything. Lots of questions here about that truck. New relay block a week before I traded it....another tow....decision made!
It was running great when I traded it. Very nice clean truck.

Tired of worrying it might strand me at any time.

Had been looking at trucks for a year. Dodge came out with the new truck and I bit.
I am a fan of coil suspensions....and hemi's.
Its a super nice ride. A luxury car with a small bed. Call it a truck....my mistake in my choice of models. Got me with the shiney lure.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:47 AM
MisterScott
Rookie

Blue2050, I agree completely. I didn't want another 6.7 when Dodge did my buyback so I had little other choice. My 09 is a great commuter vehicle, but as a truck, not the new Ford. That is why I am looking at the used 5.9 sitting on my local dealers lot.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:11 PM
blue2050
Veteran

Funny,

Both of us not real happy with our truck yet modifications must go on.
I am debating the fender flares too. Thankfully I have a car that is fun to mod too.
However its about modded as much as you can and stay street.
Suprised you have not bit on the XDI Intake. Thats an easy sell to the wife.
I promise its making real MPG improvements. Pay for itself far quicker than I would have thought.

I am also looking again. My situation is different. I paid cash and I do not want to lose money. Trying to figure this out. No dealer is going to give me money back to trade down.
and...I can't sell it yet beacuse that dealer i bought it from has not sent me the papers to title it yet. Today is the 24th day I have owned it.

Thats another story. If I cant title it in 30 days......there are laws.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:15 PM
dhopkins
Amateur

I am new here but just to put my 2 cents out there I am going through the boyback process with a 2008 ram 1500 due to major issues with the 4wd auto. I know that there were a lot of issues with that system not working correctly for a lot of the 2008 ram owners. Unless they have changed the system I personally would sugest staying away from the On-Demand feature.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:50 PM
BubbaRadioNetwork
Veteran

I can tell you it's NOT available on the TRX4 model. I had it on my 07 Laramie and hated it. The 4x4 didn't kick in until you were already sliding. It was one of the many reasons I went with the TRX4.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:36 PM
navyr6
Professional

it was available on both laramies and sports, but depends on when your truck was built, as they quit offering the auto 4wd option to cut costs. my sport has a 0ct 08 build date and has the auto 4wd transfer case. being in north florida i haven't had to use it yet, but being from up north where there actually is a thing known as winter, i know when i have to be in 4wd, so i don't know as i'll be using that feature too often.

Quick Reply: Which model Rams are available with the 4x4 auto feature?