4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5 Year Lifetime Powertrain Inspections

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 11:14 PM
BIGGS000
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've hardly even visited this forum in years. I'm one of the ignorant people that did not get the 5 year inspection done. I fought hard against it, but lost in the end. I now have a lifetime Maxcare with no PT coverage. It's better than nothing, but when I bought this truck I was not big into reading everything and I moved a few times during those 5 years with the military. I never had a real great rapport with any one dealership (and met a few shady ones). Since those days I have built the habit to read everything I sign. The lost PT coverage debacle has reinforced that habit. Now into year 10, I'll be reminding my father to get his second inspection done. Let this be a reminder to anyone that somehow got through the first inspection but forgot the inspections are every 5 years for life. Please, figure out your 120 swing period and get your inspection taken care of this year (or last year for some of you).

Old 02-11-2019, 04:08 PM
capsfloyd
Captain

mine is a 2009 , just got my 2nd -5 year done . FCA did NOT send anything to me for a reminder .

Old 02-12-2019, 10:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by capsfloyd
mine is a 2009 , just got my 2nd -5 year done . FCA did NOT send anything to me for a reminder .
Of course not. They want that warranty to expire.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:48 AM
AZDodgeHemi
Amateur

Lifetime Warranty work is certainly dealer-dependent. I went to a dealer where I recently bought another vehicle and they gave me a list of items that needed maintenance for an estimated $2,500! They would not renew my 5-year period until all items were addressed even though I had maintenance records that included most of their "identified problems". The ones that weren't addressed in my records were ones that were clearly not required yet according to the maintenance schedule in the Owner's Manual. I suppose they thought they could hold me hostage to unnecessary maintenance work.

I brought the same vehicle to another dealer and they found a transfer case leak during their 5-year inspection. When I got it back, I was surprised the paperwork also said they repaired a transmission leak too. 5-year period validated, transfer case rebuilt, new transmission gaskets + fluids + filters. Total cost: $0.00. Just had both manifolds leak-fixed too for $0.00. Love that lifetime warranty! (at the right dealer, of course).

If you have good records and a good dealer you should have no trouble.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:46 AM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you were able to get to a good dealer. My dealer sent me a reminder two months in advance last year when I needed my second 5 year inspection. I knew that my inspection was coming up and was surprised that the dealer sent me a reminder. I guess they get paid to perform it and it was good business to follow up, but 5 years later!

I have used the PT warranty four times. Three for broken exhaust manifold bolts and they are broken again. It only takes 35, 000 miles for them to break due to the improperly positioned exhaust hangers that put too much stress on the manifolds. FCA won't fix the cause, only the broken bolts. The other time was for the crappy press in barb fitting on the water pump body.

Love my truck, been a great ride for 11 years!

The following users liked this post:
qicvick (10-29-2019)
Old 01-28-2020, 06:57 AM
2015RamWV
Default Never heard of

Originally Posted by HEMI_ROM
I would expect only things within the scope of the original power train warranty to be covered. So if you have worn valves and they get into there to repair and discover excessive cyl wear for example, will they find it more expedient to just replace the 300,000 mile engine rather than keep taking it apart to rebuild a bunch of worn out things one at a time? I don't know the answer. Seems like at that point it is more cost effective to rebuild or replace the entire engine. Then would they do it again after another 300,000 miles? We may be the first owners to have the factory keep our power trains in order, until we die.
so where did u all get lifetime warranty? Bought mine in 2015 got max care also .. never heard of this kinda stuff 100,000 and out.This is my second one.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:09 AM
Dr. Bill
Veteran

Originally Posted by 2015RamWV
so where did u all get lifetime warranty? Bought mine in 2015 got max care also .. never heard of this kinda stuff 100,000 and out.This is my second one.
Back in 09, when the economy was slow, Chrysler started offering lifetime powertrain warranties to move new product. The warranty is only for the new original owner and requires a free inspection every 5 years.

Old 08-12-2022, 11:17 AM
Dr. Bill
Veteran

The lifetime powertrain warranty saved me a ton of money yesterday. I have a longer post on it in the forum, but short story, new long block at no charge. 210,000 miles on the old engine, how many will I get on the new engine???

Old 01-31-2024, 12:03 PM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone with Lifetime Maxcare warranty had a repair that exceeded the NADA Used Car Pricing Guide as stipulated in the contract?

Old 03-05-2024, 08:42 AM
RamedHemi
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i MISSED MY INSPECTION, BUT NO LETTER WAS SENT. i HAVE A DISPUTE IN WITH MOPAR. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS ISSUE? I SHOULD HAVE KEEP TRACK BETTER.

Quick Reply: 5 Year Lifetime Powertrain Inspections