Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Problems with audio system. Cannot figure out where to go next.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 03:43 PM
JOK3R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with audio system. Cannot figure out where to go next.

A quick rundown of my issue. I have a 2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab with the Infinity 7-speaker sound system.

A few days ago, the 6x9's in my door just stopped working. After talking to a few people, and doing some research online, it was recommended to me to replace the head unit.

I bought a Pioneer head unit with the auxiliary power adapter and got everything hooked up last night. The 6x9's still didn't work.

I called Crutchfield tech support, and they were stumped. They wanted me to buy new speakers, but I wasn't convinced both speakers simply blew out.

After doing some more research online, I think I may have blown the factory amp.

Is this something that is easy to bypass? And if so, what additional items would I need to buy to do this? If the speakers stopped working because the amp blew, would they start working OK once I bypassed the amp? Or am I am wrong and it's not the amp at all?

Thanks in advance for any help. This is killing me.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:55 PM
CBell82001

Check the speakers first, then look for a fuse on the amp or inline with the amp. You can either use a multimeter to check for incoming voltage from the amp or use a 9v battery and when connected to the speaker leads you will see the speaker move in or reverse the leads and then it should move. My bet would be you dont have a source voltage coming from the amp, and i would think that it would pop a fuse before shorting the amp.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:41 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If the amp was not getting power, then the 3 dash speakers and rear door speakers wouldn't work either. Sounds like the mid-sub output to the door speakers has died in the amp.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:39 PM
codiac
Professional

My 6x9's in my 2004 infinity system had the wire that comes from the cone seperate from the connector where the harness plugs in. This happened after a long tailgate party where the system was up loud for a long period of time.

I resoldered the wire back in place and it corrected the problem. I've since replaced them with some infinity kappa's, and it was an excellent upgrade.

My problem did start on 1 side 1st, and eventually went to the other side. You could clearly see the wire coming loose, like the speaker was resilient enough to not blow, and flexed hard enough, long enough to pull the wire loose.

Here's a shot of where I needed to repair it.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:49 PM
JOK3R

Thanks for the info. I will definitely check that.

Assuming the amp took a crap, would it be worthwhile to just cut the wires for the 2 6x9's and run them directly to the new head unit?

Old 03-27-2011, 05:55 PM
JOK3R

Anyone else got any input/suggestions?

I have the entire dash assembly and door panels off. Speakers look good and all connections look good.

I am really desperate here (and my hands are bloody as hell from getting that STUPID amp unhooked)

Old 03-28-2011, 07:19 AM
CBell82001

Originally Posted by JOK3R
Anyone else got any input/suggestions?

I have the entire dash assembly and door panels off. Speakers look good and all connections look good.

I am really desperate here (and my hands are bloody as hell from getting that STUPID amp unhooked)
I feel you on the blood, i cant do anything to my truck without a cut or scrape of some sort, the only "cheap" thing i can think of would be to get an amp that u know is good and test it, ie junkyard/buddies truck. if it works u know its the amp, if it doesnt, you know u hve a wiring problem in the truck

Old 03-28-2011, 07:21 AM
CBell82001

also check the continuity of the speaker wires in the door that isnt working, just a thought but maybe something happened to the wires at a pinch point. Makes sense if its only 1 speaker that isnt working.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:46 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the OEM Infinity amp from my 04 sitting in the living room if you are interested.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:17 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Call this people and they will help you. You can get a bypass harness that you can install aftermarket amps bypassing the factory amp...

http://stores.ebay.com/Integration-S...id=p4340.l2563

Quick Reply: Problems with audio system. Cannot figure out where to go next.