Charger, Roadrunner & Superbee Talk Charger (pre-1975). Coronet, Roadrunner and Superbee (& other 'B' bodies) specific topics within.

'69 Air Grabber color?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:53 PM
dodgebrothers
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '69 Air Grabber color?

Anyone know why some 69 Air Inductions are orange and others flat black? I always thought they were orange on Dodges (and called RamCharger) and black on Plymouths (using Air Grabber name). In Herd's restoration book he says they are black, different designs and used different stickers, all true. But we've all seen the orange ones on SuperBees and R/Ts???

I've also seen black ones on Superbees...so I'm stumped.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Mknabb1111
Default RE: '69 Air Grabber color?

I have seen both colors on both plymouths and dodges. I want to say black is plymouth and dodge is black, but don't hold me to it. My dads convert rr has a black air grabber unit, but then again it has a ramcharger sticker on it, so who knows.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:17 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 69 Plymouth Air Grabbers(the underhood parts)are black and the Dodges are orange/kinda red. Dodges are called Ramchargers. Herd's book also shows a couple of red ones I think.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:42 AM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

Yep, that's what I thought. But the Herd book as well as my own observations has been the black ones showed up under Dodges too - perhaps just color difference as the actual ducting is very different - not interchangeable. Anyway...mystery persists.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:12 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Are you talking about the duct work or the air cleaner? As I recall my 69 Roadrunner's duct work was black and the air cleaner was orange. I remember a friends 69Superbee being orange.The correct decal for the RR air cleanershould (or could) say "Coyote Duster" and has a caricature of Wylie Coyote on it.I believe the sixbarrel cars used "440 six barrel" and Dodges used the "six pak" designation.
Again the memory of those days is hazy, but Ramcharger should be on Dodges and Air grabber was the Plymouth designation. However, the main "circle" for the underhood ductwork is interchangable while the "wings" which grabbed the air are not. In other words you could use the center section from a Super bee and the side pieces from a Roadrunner on a Roadrunner hood and vice versa. If the "incorrect" decals were in place,no one changed them...
I think that the Mystery if you will, is that a lot of folks who started resto rodding these cars back in the late 70s through 80s tended to be a bit "politically incorrect" with decals. I mean lets face it, 340 or 440 "six pak" (Dodge) sounds cooler than "six barrel" (Plymouth). Well, it didto me.
Thanks for letting me respond.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:21 PM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

dsertdog,

Everything you said is dead on and as I understand it as well. I'm beginning to believe (as you said) some of the "black" ducting I've seen on Superbees must have been restored incorrectly or perhaps added to a Superbee that did not originally come w/ the N96 option.

The Herd comment about "all ducting on Dodges and plymouths are the same color, black" must be an error.

Thanks

Old 01-24-2011, 05:38 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

69 RR air cleaner
Name:  694406-2.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  134.7 KB

440 6bbl hood
Name:  My69Roadrunner.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  196.6 KB

Not a real 6bbl car, but all OEM stuff on it. It was a 383 4-speed originally and had the functional air grabber hood. The ductwork was black on my hood and the air cleaner was orange like the 6bbl air cleaner is.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:34 AM
hemiRTs

Hi nice RR. so this RR came with factory AC and an air grabber or N96 on the data tag? I have never scene that before. love the Road Runners.

Quick Reply: '69 Air Grabber color?