Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Grand Caravan - upgrade possibilities?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 10:13 PM
bberretta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 Grand Caravan - upgrade possibilities?

I have an 08 Grand Caravan SXT/3.8 with pwr sliding doors and I would like to do a few upgrades but I need to know if they are even possible. Can I add a power liftgate and back-up camera? What all parts would I need? Are all the necessary wires there or are the harnesses different between the pwr and no pwr liftgate versions?
Thanks for the help!

Old 01-04-2009, 11:00 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

If your G/Caravan came with power sliding doors, then you should have a power liftgate too. As far as the backup camera, ck with mopar parts department.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:53 PM
bberretta

As soon as I pick it up from the dealer tomorrow I'll pull off the panel (where the module, button, and motor would mount) and look for the plugs. (Van's in the shop getting the "chain" harness replaced on the sliding door)

Old 01-31-2009, 02:41 PM
tomthbomb

What happened?Did it work?

Old 02-08-2009, 01:53 PM
bberretta

I pulled the pilar panel off to see what was underneath (this is where all of the power liftgate hardware and module should go). The plug was not there for the module. I'm trying to get ahold of the factory wiring harness part numbers to see if there are differences in them but as it stands it looks like the power liftgate is out. I did add a factory remote start and now my remotes have the liftgate button. When I press the liftgate button, the lights flash, so it at least recognizes the button if I can ever get the module in it. As for the camera, I think the best option will be to just add one using the MyGig lockpick with an add-on camera. (http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG.htm)

Old 02-09-2009, 09:37 PM
tomthbomb

I really miss the rear lift gate on my 2005. As a matter of fact if I could find who bought it I would trade them for my 2008.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:21 AM
bberretta

I understand. The lift gate on the 2008 is quite heavy- heavier than the one on the Yukon that I traded in on the van! I'm trying to add as many "features" to my van as I can, but the power lift gate isn't so much a feature as it is a neccesity with kids. I do have to admit, I am gettting an upper body workout, though!

Old 02-13-2009, 02:20 AM
bberretta

I've discovered I may have jumped to conclusions- the lift gate module plug should be located lower down than I was looking. I pulled off the D-pillar panel, not the lower trim piece. I'll try to pull the lower panel off this weekend.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:41 PM
tomthbomb

Please keep us posted.

If you are successful getting the lift motor and electrics installed will not you have to buy a couple of expensive key fobs? What do you estimate the total cost to be?

Old 02-16-2009, 03:53 AM
bberretta

I purchased the factory remote start kit with the key fobs that also have the lift gate button on it. When you buy the remote start kit it comes with two key fobs (kit was less than $250 and was less than $200 to have dealer install it.) Now I have to see if I can add the lift gate stuff.

Quick Reply: 2008 Grand Caravan - upgrade possibilities?