Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Sideview Mirror disassembly - 2008 Grand Caravan SXT

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010 | 04:19 PM
luvmadodge
|
Post Sideview Mirror disassembly - 2008 Grand Caravan SXT

Seal broke on my LED signal lights on the drivers side view mirror causing the individual LED's to fail one by one. I want to attempt to repair or at the very least replace the LED module but I can't figure out how to get the &@#! mirror apart to access it. (Short of breaking the mirror...YIKES) Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions! And FTR, a replacement LED module costs $66 from the dealer.

Last edited by luvmadodge; 01-20-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-20-2010 | 04:38 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

REMOVAL
WARNING: Always wear eye and hand protection when servicing the mirror glass. Failure to observe these warnings may result in personal injury from broken glass.

1. Position the mirror glass (1) so that it is facing in toward the vehicle as far as possible.
2. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
3. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent flat bladed tool (2), release the two outer mirror glass holder retaining clips from the mirror motor by inserting the trim stick between the mirror glass holder and the mirror motor.

4. Carefully pull/pry the outside edges of the mirror glass holder (1) away from the mirror motor (2) to disengage the remaining six mirror glass retaining clips (3) from the mirror motor.
5. Separate the mirror glass holder from the mirror motor and disconnect the mirror wire harness from the heated glass electrical connector, if equipped.

Welcome the DF
Hope this what you are looling for or did want to know about replacing the mirror.

Old 01-20-2010 | 04:49 PM
luvmadodge
|

Thank you so much for the quick response! Your instructions sound like what I am looking for but...Are the retainer clips you refer to, plastic? I've been studying the thing quite a bit (stop laughing) and its hard to discern just what parts of the fixture go with to the mirror and what goes to the mirror motor per say. Or where exactly I should be trying to separate the two. Any chance of a picture or diagram?? Thank again and I'll be trying again this evening.

Old 01-20-2010 | 05:00 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

No Pictures. But once you have the new mirror in your hand. you'll see how it clips on or come off.

Old 01-20-2010 | 05:01 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

Here you go, good luck!!

REMOVAL

NOTE: The Light Emitting Diode (LED) and printed circuit board for these lamps are serviced only as a unit with the lamp and lens assembly. If any part of these lamps is damaged or ineffective, the entire lamp assembly must be replaced.
<A xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> 1.Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.2.Remove the mirror glass and holder (1) from the mirror housing (2).

<A xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> 3.Locate the lamp housing (2) within the lower, outboard side of the mirror housing (1).

<A xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> 4.Using a trim stick (1) or another suitable tool, reach into the mirror housing to access and depress the plastic retaining tab (2) integral to the inboard end of the lamp housing far enough to allow the lamp assembly to be pushed out through the mounting hole in the mirror housing toward the front of the vehicle.

<A xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> 5.Pull the lamp assembly (3) out of the mirror housing (1) far enough to access and disconnect the lamp pigtail wire connector (2) from the mirror wire harness and remove the lamp.

Old 01-20-2010 | 05:10 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Good job.

Old 01-20-2010 | 05:10 PM
luvmadodge
|

Thank you thank you, THANK you! I truly appreciate it. What do you think the odds are of my mirror coming out in pieces?

Old 01-21-2010 | 10:48 AM
luvmadodge
|

Still haven't popped the mirror free from the mirror motor "mount" so to speak. Nothing seems to want to give short of, I fear, destroying the mirror itself. Is there a trick to the trade? Can the mirror be separated straight away from the mount or are there hidden clips somewhere I'm just not seeing? Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Old 01-23-2010 | 09:10 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

I pulled one of these into the shop yesterday and took the mirror off. You turn it in and down, pull out on the retainers and the mirror popped right off. I took some pictures but won't get them on til tonight at the soonest.

Old 01-25-2010 | 03:55 PM
luvmadodge
|
Default Miserable Mirror

That'd be awesome, pictures. I know my vision is not 20/20 and it is tough to see in there but I'm not seeing any retainer(s) to pull. Thanks Tizzy1!

Quick Reply: Sideview Mirror disassembly - 2008 Grand Caravan SXT