Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Leak on top of transmission? With Pics. Where?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Jesse's Town & Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak on top of transmission? With Pics. Where?

Hello,

Almost forgot, 1997 t&c LXi 2wd, 3.8 liter.

Back around Christmas, I replaced the front pump seal. After finally putting it back together (btw I've had the transmission off at some point of every car I have owned, and this was easily three times harder than any of the others ), it still had a leak (a quart every 2 weeks), so I assumed it was still leaking from the pump seal. I replaced the starter today, and noticed some ATF had puddled up on the case above the final drive, kind of at the back of the transmission (see the picture). It's far enough back that it could not have come from spilling fluid during one of the many top-ups. But I couldn't get a good enough look to tell exactly where it was coming from.

Any ideas as to where it could be coming from?

Here's a pic (sorry if it's lousy):
Name:  2010-08-14173127.jpg
Views: 3502
Size:  99.3 KB

Here's another where you can also see my sweet ghetto heater cutoff valve. It makes the AC work a whole lot better because my heater didn't actually turn off all the way, at least not reliably. If anyone wants to try it I can dig out the part number I used and walk you through the install.

Name:  2010-08-14173144.jpg
Views: 3215
Size:  102.6 KB

Last edited by Jesse's Town & Country; 08-14-2010 at 08:27 PM. Reason: added vehicle info
Old 08-14-2010, 09:06 PM
blakels
Amateur

I had an '04 Neon that had a lot of fluid in the same area. It turned out to be from the coolant overflow bottle mounted to the cowl just above it. The trans cooler in the radiator had failed and the cooling system was full of ATF and vice-versa. Don't know where you're resovoir is but just a thought.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Jesse's Town & Country

That's a good thought, but no it's only ATF and the puke can is on the other end of the engine.

What's messing with me is that there really isn't much transmission above where its puddling, so there can't be too many places where it is coming from.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:22 PM
mike bloom

time to go to the parts store and buy a cheap black light kit. Put the dye in run it and see where your leak is coming from.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:46 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Go and get some anti foam and pour it in the transmission.This was a problem we had in the early 1990's.The transmission fluid would be so hot that it would come out of the vent tube. This could be were the fluid leak you are getting from.And if fluid is coming out of the missing bolt hole,then you may need to remove the transmission and found the leak.

Last edited by master tech; 08-15-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: adding to story
Old 08-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Jesse's Town & Country

Originally Posted by mike bloom
time to go to the parts store and buy a cheap black light kit. Put the dye in run it and see where your leak is coming from.
I could probably just find it visually if it weren't so danged cramped in there!

Originally Posted by master tech
Go and get some anti foam and pour it in the transmission.This was a problem we had in the early 1990's.The transmission fluid would be so hot that it would come out of the vent tube. This could be were the fluid leak you are getting from.And if fluid is coming out of the missing bolt hole,then you may need to remove the transmission and found the leak.

Hmm, where is the vent tube on this? It looks like there was oil coming out of the hole where the bolt is missing from that heater hose (any idea on the diameter, pitch, and length of that bolt btw?), but the greasy spot is fairly dry and covered with dust so that may be leftover from filling the transmission, it doesn't look like it is actively leaking there.

I don't think I have ever seen anything labeled as anti-foam at the parts store, is that something they will know if I ask? Do you recommend a specific one?

Old 08-15-2010, 11:50 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

The vent tube is also the shaft that comes out of the transmission case and double as the shifter.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Jesse's Town & Country

Originally Posted by master tech
The vent tube is also the shaft that comes out of the transmission case and double as the shifter.
Well judging from the picture the oil isn't coming from the shifter shaft at the front of the transmission. If there were a hairline crack on top of the differential housing, could that be the problem?

Old 08-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Jesse's Town & Country

sapporo clean out your inbox!

Old 08-16-2010, 08:44 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Sure it can.

Quick Reply: Leak on top of transmission? With Pics. Where?