Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

~ 1998 Voyager, codes P0700 & P0740; Low Batt or Dead Alt? ~

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 04:31 PM
nimrod.sixty9
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ~ 1998 Voyager, codes P0700 & P0740; Low Batt or Dead Alt? ~

Hello all,
New here because I just bought a 98 Pymouth Grand voyager (please excuse me if this is the wrong place to post). When I got it, it did not have a battery. Threw in a new one and gave it a go, it was pretty much comletely dead when I got it home. Wouldnt even start once I turned her off. The batt has been on charge for a few and I drove it much further and the thing didnt die. Got back home and it started right up after I turned it off.
Now I dont have a way to test the battery, but it does seem like its still charged. But assuming its not, is it possile that the codes could be thrown on a weak charge? Im wondering this as other Dodge vehicles Ive had and still have will throw random codes on a weak batt. That and the van seems to shift quite well. Looking for some direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Old 06-15-2011, 05:05 PM
nimrod.sixty9
Amateur

Early update: Took a multimeter and I had 12.88v with engine off. Ran it in the driveway at idle had slightly lower voltage. Reved it up and would increase voltage ~.15 or so, but only when reved. Sat in the AC a bit and tested again while running, AC and lights on voltage was 11.88 and dropping.

Also, I noticed I couldnt get the Max AC button to work nor recycle air. I did do the AC reset thing because all the lights were blinking. No flashing lights (other than the rear wiper buttons), but now no lights at all ....

Old 06-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At idle you should see around 14vdc at the battery posts. Sounds like the alternater is on it's way out. Have it tested. Not sure that will fix your tranny codes.

Last edited by Cougar41; 06-15-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:18 AM
nimrod.sixty9
Amateur

Thanks for the post. Ill be taking of the alt tomorrow and taking doen to AZ to have it tested. Then buy a new one if necessary.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:43 PM
nimrod.sixty9
Amateur

Replaced the ALT, the old one was def bad. Unfortunately the code keeps coming back. Ive deleted it twice already. Strangely enough though, the transmission still shifts fine. I can even feel the torque converter locking up. I have noticed the EATX relay makes a loud high pitched noise when I turn off the van. it does this fro about a minute or so. Im heading to town to buy a new one as well as add some Lucas seal conditioner. Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks,

Old 06-19-2011, 08:20 PM
nimrod.sixty9
Amateur

Alright I replaced the relay, as it pretty much broke into pieces when I tried to take it out. That and the same time I put in some Lucas transmission treatment. I didn't realize this before but it must have been shifting much later than it should have because it shifts much better and earlier (forgive me as I didn't notice it wasn't normal as I drive a 6speed Camaro, just not used to it). Code hasn't came back yet but I really haven't drove it far enough yet to give it a chance to come back.

Now I have a new problem. I have a bad top end knock. Definitely valve train related. Strangely though its very intermittent. Sometimes its quite loud, and other times it sounds like a new motor. I really need some direction on this guys. Please help!

Old 06-21-2011, 06:10 PM
nimrod.sixty9
Amateur

Anyone?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:39 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

If the code hasn't come back, then it must be fix. Do you know how much voltage you have at the battery when the engine is running? Also check under the battery tray, you may find the battery sensor there and it maybe shorting to ground.

Quick Reply: ~ 1998 Voyager, codes P0700 & P0740; Low Batt or Dead Alt? ~